Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2002 Nissan Altima: low speed..water pump..heater core..control unit

Customer Question
Why would I not get...
Why would I not get heat at low speed (idle) on my 2002 Nissan Altima when I changed out the water pump, thermostats and heater core and temperature control unit?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/5/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

did it do this after you done the work?or,is this why you had the work done?

Customer:

this is why and it still does it. It's manual control

tims auto repair :

so,,when you give it throttle,,it does get warm,,right?

Customer:

Sorry are you still there? New at this.

tims auto repair :

yes

maybe this will help

does the heater get warm when you give it throttle?..before you done the work,did you need to add coolant or have any problem with the cooling system?

yes, sorry chat issues. Heater hose is warm on one side and the other side is cold with a new heater core.

ok

it sounds as if you may have air in the cooling system//

lets try this...remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold..start the engine and let it idle.....turn the heater on high..let the engine run until it gets to operating temp...keep coolant on hand and add if needed...after the engine is at tempeture,,and it is full of coolant,,install the cap

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

unfortuantley I didn get the whole message you sent earlier, I didnt have any coolant issues before this and the A/C worked perfect. I have already done what you suggested and i am totally stumped because I have been working on this for several days.
how many miles is on the car?
181,000

ok

i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys has an idea of what is going on here,,someone will be with you

ty anyway
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Most common is the coolant system may have a air pocket. Since you did drain the coolant system, if the system is not bleed properly, you can get no heat at idle, or no heat, and over heating. Nissan's are tricky when it comes to bleeding the coolant system. Here is the way you need to bleed the coolant system.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket. Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat.graphicgraphic

If you don't have a coolant bucket, you can make one. See image. Just pinch off the over flow hose.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
If i try this and it doesn't work will it charge me again to come back for the same question?
No, you can come back if you have further questions on this, and if this doesn't work. If you have some sorta heat when driving or reving the engine, then you have air in your system and it needs to be bleed.

If you are satisfied with my answer, that is what the Accept button is for. I do not get paid, unless you are satisfied. Pressing the Accept button means you are satisfied with my answer.

I will still help you if you need it, but I feel very strongly that is your problem.
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Ok...ty so much for your time. I will try this and let you know either way.
You got it. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician