Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan frontier: cruise control..it doesnt work..light came..wont come

my 05 nissan frontier 4.0 V6 nismo cruise control stopped working. First it quit intermittenly now it doesnt work at all, heres what happened. when i pushed on the cruise control button light came on, but then when I go to set it the set light wont come on and it doesnt set. i had a diagnostic done code # XXXXX the tech still could not narrow the problem to fix it, he said the code has something to do with the neurtol control switch. botXXXXX XXXXXne he wanted to charge me more time to find the problem after having it for 2 hours.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

That is not a proper code. The code number should start with a P. I would have the code double checked, then return so I can properly assist you.

Customer :

how about PI446. i was going on memory, just got out the paperwok it says thats the code

Customer :

ooops again code says P1446

Customer :

not I

Jay :

That sounds like a Evap code give me a few to look up that code. Thanks Jay!

Jay :

Yeah, the P1446 is for the vent control valve. That shouldn't keep the cruise control from working.

Jay :

That is the only code you have?

Customer :

well the same tech replaced the evaperative cannister and evap pressure sensor so maybe that code was referring what he did he was not clear. i took it in because of the check engine light came on he scanned and found evap codes so i had them fix that and replaced motor mounts my truck has 160k miles on its been so good to me.

Customer :

like i said the tech said maybe it had something to do with the neurtral control switch.

Customer :

yes thats he only code i have

Jay :

Well, there is a few things that needs to be checked for the cruise control to work properly.

Jay :

First you need to check the Cruise Control switch by the brake petal.

Customer :

ok

Jay :

Then you need to use the scanner to monitor the Electronic Throttle chamber to see if that is working properly since that also controls the Cruise control

Customer :

is the switch a fuse or something? you mean check the switch to make there is no short and functioning properly?

Jay :

Those are the first 2 things I would check first for the cruise control not to work. The ASCD Cancel switch if fails, will not allow the cruise control to set, and won't set any codes. So I would start there.

Full Size Image

Jay :

Here is a image of it's location

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer :

ok thx

Jay :

your welcome.