Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My trouble engine code reads P1111- intake valve timing circuit

My trouble engine code reads...
My trouble engine code reads P1111- "intake valve timing circuit" where is this located?
9/15/2010
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! What is the year and make of your nissan?

carguy1 :

model, sorry!

Sorry i was trying to edit the question. Its a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5L SE. I recently replaced the tensioners for the timing chains. When i finished that code appeared and i cannot erase it. A parts guy at Nissan told me it was the "valve assembly solenoid valve timing control." He did not sound too certain. I was wondering where i could also get a print out on the repair process.
Ok, I am with you now. Do you have a scan tool or just a code reader?
I believe just a code reader. It plugs in and i punch in the make and model and it tells me what codes come up.
Ok, I hate to say this, but it is likely throwing the code because the timing is off on bank #1. This is not uncommon when the tensioners go bad.
The solenoid is up on top of the rear timing cover/and the valve cover.
Here is the spec for testing the component itself, and the location of it.
graphic
graphic
Ok thanks! That is what i thought it was. The Guy at the dealership said it was located inside of the timing chain cover. Was he talking about something else? What exactly is the purpose of this part?
This part supplies oil pressure to advance the timing when the car needs it to become advanced.
There is a cam sensor also,but that is on the other end of the head.
Normally, the cam sensor fails and causes the solenoid code. Normally.
In this case, it is likely that the timing chain either stretched or jumped due to the tensioner failing. So now, the cam sensor is reading the timing is off on bank #1, which it very likely is, and it is blaming the IVVT solenoid thinking it is locked open and supplying full pressure.
With a scan tool, you can actually look at the timing on both banks and see what is happening to confirm the chain being off. Without it, you will have to pull the cover and reset the chain.
Possibly may have to replace it. I personally have had this problem on a quest van. Same engine and it was a royal PITA because the chain had stretched
Ok makes sense! Your right~ what a pain! Is there a possibility that it is the IVT solenoid and not the timing? What would you reccomend i do first? I am not sure how to use a scan tool. I am very new at all of this.
If you have a volt meter, test the solenoid with the first test I gave you, just check the resistance and check for any wires that may have been pinched.
Then if they all look good, chance are the timing is the problem.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Thank you very much!! You saved me alot of time!!
You are very welcome! And thank you for the accept!
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician