Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.
19225669

Have a 1996 Nissan Altima. Just replaced the battery. The

Have a 1996 Nissan Altima. Just replaced the battery. The Brake Lights stay on. Replaced the stop lamp switch but the brake lights still stay on. Any clues??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Nathan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Just Answer.

Nathan :

Yes, you have a very common issue most likely where the rubber grommet that the brake lamp switch pushes on has likely gotten dry and fallen out.

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

Have already replaced the brake light switch

Nathan :

When this happens the plunger on the switch simply falls into the hole and doesn't get pressed.

Nathan :

I know, the part I am referring to is not te brake lamp switch

Customer:

Even replacing the brake light switch the brake lights remain on

Customer:

Where is the part you are talking about located?

Nathan :

I know, I am not asking you to replace the brake lamp switch.

Nathan :

There are 2 switches that are side by side, One is easily seen which is the ASCD Cancel switch. The other switch is very difficult to see and is the brake lamp switch. (it sits above the steering column and can't be reached without lowering the steering column)

Nathan :

The little buttons on both of these switches are depressed by the rubber grommet I am talking about.

Customer:

ok. I hear and feel a light tapping at the base of the stick shift when I press the brake pedal. Does this have any bearing on this problem?

Nathan :

The grommets are located on the brake pedal itself, just look closely where the pedal contacts the brake and ascd cancel switch and you will see a hole there (where the colored plastic grommet should be)

Nathan :

tapping in the automatic shifter? is that what you mean?

Customer:

yes...it sounds more like a clicking sound

Nathan :

It might but first we need to confirm that the brake switch grommet issue isn't the cause.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I will check this grommet issue first and then get back to you.

Nathan :

I would like to o to another computer I have so that I can post some illustrations up.

Customer:

ok thanks

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 years ago.
graphicgraphic
In the above picture remember that their are 2 switches side by side. The first switch you will see is the ASCD switch. Check them both. Also you can unplug the connectors for these switches and if the brake lights then turn off then you know the issue is caused by the brake switch not being turned off.