Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

How do you release tension on the drum brakes on a nissan xterra 2001

Customer Question
how do you release tension on the drum brakes on a nissan xterra 2001
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
7/31/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

you will need to loosen the adjuster to take of tension

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

FIG : Rear drum brake assembly and related components-2001-02 6-cyl. Frontier and Xterra

image

Brake Shoes

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Xterra
2000-2002 With 3.3L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Drain the brake fluid, as necessary.
  3. Release the parking brake.
  4. Safely raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the rear wheel and drum.
  6. Remove the hold-down pin retainers.
  7. Remove the leading shoe and then the trailing shoe.
  8. Remove the adjuster.
  9. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the toggle lever on the rear shoe.

To install:

1. Transfer the toggle lever to the new rear shoe.
  2. Apply a small amount of brake grease to the tips of the shoes and the 6 pads on the backing plate that contact the brake shoe.
  3. Shorten the adjuster by turning it.
  4. Connect the parking brake cable to the toggle lever on the rear shoe.
  5. Install the lower return spring to both shoes and install the shoes on the backing plate with the hold down pins and retainers.
  6. Install the adjuster and the remaining springs. Pay attention to the direction of the adjuster assembly.
  7. Inspect the complete assembly and install the brake drum.
  8. Adjust the shoe to drum clearance.
  9. Install the wheel assembly and lower the vehicle to the floor.

Nissan Frontier, Xterra 1998-05

Brake Drums

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

1. Remove the hub cap and loosen the lug nuts.
  2. Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it on jackstands.
  3. Remove the lug nuts, tire and wheel.
  4. Release the parking brake.
  5. Pull the brake drum from the hub. If difficult to remove try the following:
    1. Strike the face of the drum with a plastic or rubber mallet. This will break free any rust that may develop between the drum and the hub.
    2. Install 2, M8x1.25mm bolts into the holes in the drum and gradually tighten them to pull the drum off the hub.

6. Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install and tighten 2 bolts to remove a stubborn brake drum

To install:

1. Install the brake drum to the hub.
  2. Install the wheel.
  3. Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.
  4. Road-test the vehicle to ensure that the brakes are working properly.

2. Drain the brake fluid, as necessary.
  3. Release the parking brake.
  4. Raise the vehicle and support safely.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  6. Pull the brake drum from the hub. If difficult to remove try the following:

To install:

1. Install the brake drum to the hub.
  2. Install the wheel.
  3. Remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle.

Frontier

3. Remove the lug nuts, tire and wheel.
  4. Release the parking brake.

Fig. Install and tighten 2 bolts to remove a stubborn brake drum-Frontier

To install:

1. Install the brake drum to the hub.
  2. Install the wheel.

Quest

The rear drum brakes used on these vehicles are conventional expanding shoe-type with the brake shoe lining applied to the inside of the rotating drum. An incremental brake adjuster screw is designed to actuate whenever sufficient wear occurs.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire.
  3. Remove the brake drum by pulling it from the wheel studs.
  4. If necessary for brake drum removal, pry off the access hole plug from the access hole. Insert a screwdriver and a brake adjustment tool. Press the screwdriver against the adjusting lever to disengage it from the adjuster. Loosen the adjuster using the brake adjusting tool.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Brake shoe adjustment may need to be loosened to remove the brake drum-Quest

To install:

1. Clean all parts well. It is good practice to inspect the wheel cylinder for leaks anytime the brake drum is removed. If a new replacement brake drum is being installed, inspect it for a protective coating on the machined inside braking surface. Remove any coating with suitable solvent.
  2. Install the brake drum onto the wheel studs.
  3. In most all cases, manual brake adjustment IS NOT recommended. Adjustment is performed by driving the vehicle and applying the brakes.
  4. Install the tire and wheel and torque the fasteners to 72-87 ft. lbs. (98-118 Nm).
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Adjust the rear brake shoes by sharply applying the brakes several times while driving the vehicle alternately forwards and backwards. Check the brake operation by making several stops while driving forward.
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic