Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2000 Infiniti G20: wont start..even try..it might start right up

Customer Question
My 2000 Infiniti G20 suddenly...
My 2000 Infiniti G20 suddenly won't start all of the time. Everything comes on, radio, lights, etc but it doesn't even try to start. You can go back later and it might start right up. Is this a problem with the ignition and key chips, alarm, or what? What can be done to fix?
Thanks
Scott
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
7/19/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Does the security light blink when this happens?
No i don't beleive it does.
Is it on solid?
i don't see the security light at all.
Ok when this does happen does it crank over and not start ?
It doesn't crank over at all. All the lights will come on and the radio comes on but it just turns and makes no sound. Other times I can take the key out, put it back in and it starts right up. I unplugged the battery for about 5 minutes and then started it. It started 7 times in a row. I went back in the house and an hour later came back out and it did the same thing, nothing.
Ok sounds like the starter is starting to seize up. Has the starter been tested?
No not yet. How hard is it to get to.
Kind of hard to get to. The starter is located underneath the intake manifold near the drivers side/center of the engine compartment. To see it you'll have to raise the vehicle and look way up in there with a flashlight from the passenger side by the right axle. Some of the G20's have a metal bracket in the rear of the engine that supports the intake manifold and it covers the starter. A quick way of telling if the starter is the problem is having someone hold the key to the start position and giving the starter a few taps with the back side of a long screwdriver. I would check this next.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician