Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

95 maxima: reverse..park..it doesnt even sound..neutral safety switch…

Customer Question
I have a 95 maxima...
I have a 95 maxima that will only go in reverse, neutral and park. It doesnt even sound like it is acknowledging 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I believe it could be the neutral safety switch but not 100%. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/29/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Even if the neutral safety switch was removed it would still go in forward gear. If the trans moves in reverse then you have an internal trans failure I'm afraid and will need to rebuild or replace it.

But the shifter seems to slip right by all forward gears like its a cable or linkage issue. If I put the shifter in low, it doesnt even click or do anything. I am not argueing, I just want to make sure I am explaining everything correctly.

If I put it in neutral, you can hear the motor idle increase a little, then I put it in reverse and the motor idle goes down a little and you can tell its going into gear. But then you go back to neutral and try drive, 2nd and 1st, nothing at all. No change in the idle, no movement at all, like there is no connection between the shifter and the trans for drive gears.

Thanks!

Samantha

Normally if the shifter or cable breaks you will not be able to get it into any gear at all, since you have reverse that kind of negates that. There is a possibility that the manual valve in the transmission broke and can still route fluid to reverse but not the forward gears. I do agree though that it is odd you are not getting a little idle bump as you shift from Neutral towards Drive. You should be able to check for the cable moving with a helper. If you look down on the trans from under the hood and have someone move it through the gears you can see the cable move the shift lever, if it moves all the way through it's travel when they shift it then I'm pretty sure you have an internal problem.