Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

nissan altima: ( Note 69,000 miles..fuel filter..crank sensor kit..rev…

Customer Question
I have a nissan altima...
I have a nissan altima 2002. Since aug 09 I have had the service engine light come on, ( Note 69,000 miles)vin #1N4AL11DX2C143225
service
1) aug cleaned fuel system , replaced spark plugs
2) bmx ign cop boot fuel filter, air filter fuel system cleaning kit
3) brakes
4)diagnostic testing po302
5) replaced crank sensor kit, relearn idle perform brake flush, added conditioner, flusher coolant system, put new fluid and additive perform transmission service
6) had codes p1574-- p0720-open circuit in revolution speed sensor--replaced rev speed senor (930cpn )
7) performed diag code 300, 3001, 302, service engine light still on
I have to drive 200 miles round trip this week and concerned
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/28/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Do you know what code or codes are stored at the moment?
no my service is still open last week brought in, left it all day they did not have time to get to it, brought it back a few days later again did not get to it. Now I am being told to be prepared to leave it longer, which means renting a car again. Someone told me there is a way for me to get all service done on my vehicle via the web. It may be there? But I do not know where that information is located. I gave you the information off receipts from aug -09 thru present
Ok, so the light is still on but you aren't sure why.That is ok.
How is the car running right now? Also, is this a dealer you are dealing with or an independent garage?
it seems off rpm needle does not seem right, idle seems high but what do i know that why I took it to dealership nissan. not garage
Ok, that is fine :) I will try to help you determine if the car is going to be ok for your trip. Do you think you could get it to Autozone or some other parts store and have the codes read? I would like to know what is stored so I can help you out. They will read those codes for free that the dealership is charging you for. I can help with them once I know what they are.
i am not sure that will help i will try, last time i did that they said that it could not get a read
Ok. I think that since the problem at the moment seems to be a higher then normal rpm, the car is fine to drive. I would also like to know if you are using any antifreeze. If the car is running hot or any of that type of stuff.
I do not see that antifreeze was used unless nissan dealership used when they did prem cool kit. It is not running hot. If anything it seems to take a few minutes longer to warm up when first getting in. I now wait until i see the gauge to start moving from cold
Ok, are you getting normal heat from the heater? I know this is a bad time of year for that but it would be helpful to know
i just went out and checked it did seem fine, however it seems to me that i did not get as much rev in the engine with the heat on vs ac if that makes any since
hmm, should be the same for either. If the car isn't spitting or sputtering then it seems the misfire may be gone. This is what I am truly interested in and why I would like the codes. It can be a sign of a head gasket issue. If that is the case I don't want you to drive the car on the trip as it could lead to problems. Overheating and running rough and eventually leave you stranded.That is why the codes are important to me
ok i will try autozone again and see if they can get anything to come up on the diagnostics get back with you in a little while
Ok, I will be here!
ok i am not sure my reply went through.
I just got back from auto zone, code is p0300 same one that keeps coming up.
the definition printed out includes
cylinder misfire detected-random cylinders
explanation
the powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition
probable cause
ignition system fault-spark plugs, ignition wires coil
vacuum leak
injector fault
high or low fuel pressure
* please reference the detail service performed in opening question
Ok, with a multiple misfire code,I suggest yo don't take this car on the trip. I would ask them to check it for a potential head gasket issue. Especially if the car only runs rough during start up the first few minutes. It appears from the previous work that they may have read the codes and came up with the 300,301 and 305 but haven't done anything to the car to resolve them. This could also be a problem with the coils for #1 and #3 but if the cause hasn't been diagnosed I do agree with your concern.
Thank you for taking the time in your day to get the codes read. I would hate to misinform you and have you drive the car only to have problems.

If I leave my car again..................so many times. How long should it take to give me some results, I do not understand since they have read these codes and serviced the above issues. The (head gasket) has not come up in their conversation.What does the head gasket do? What does that mean would it need replaced.Should I be prepared to replace replace coil i and 3 ? and what do they do?
The coils are the components that send spark to the spark plugs. If there is no spark then there is no combustion.This is called a misfire.
Seems that the last codes they got haven't been addressed. This is the multiple misfire codes.
As for the head gasket. The engine has 2 main parts. The cylinder block and the cylinder head. These are sealed together with a gasket called the head gasket. This gasket allows the coolant to flow between the head and block, also the engine oil.
They should be able to pressure test the cooling system and give you the results within 1 hour. They need to pressure test it for 45 minutes and pull the spark plugs and look on top of the pistons in the engine for the coolant pooling on top. I can not tell you why this hasn't been checked by them, but I have to say they are obviously missing something since they really seem unable to fix the car for you.
one more question
69,000 miles, are these things normal? Should I contact nissan corp
I don't think it would be a bad idea to contact corporate, if for no other reason so this dealer will take you seriously. 1-800-nissan1
We have seen a lot of head gaskets on these. This is why I really want it looked at.
sorry 1 more question this has been getting costly, what range in price am I looking at if head gasket? what range coils
Coils are roughly $100-$150, a head gasket job runs about $1,200-$1,500
have you seen head gasket jobs on a car with 69,000 miles
Yes, I have seen them with less. It is very common and why I am so concerned that it may be the problem with the misfire. If you just had one,maybe a coil but you have multiple. This means more then one cylinder is being affected.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
ok
Thank you for the accept and please let me know how it goes!