Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Infinity: Pathfinder and Frontier 6-cyl) when it is hot I..hood…

Customer Question
2000 Infinity QX4(same engine in...
2000 Infinity QX4(same engine in Pathfinder and Frontier 6-cyl) when it is hot I can stop somewhere and when I return it will not start. I raise the hood for 15 min. it starts. I figure the heat build up of the hot engine is causing the problem. But I can not figure out the problem. New distributer cap, rotor, wires still hapening. Help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/28/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

What you need to do when this happens is check for spark when trying to start the truck. Does the truck turn over and not start when this happens? If so, lets check for spark and see if it's present.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Turns over nicely but no fire.
No spark?

Is not firing (sparking) until the engine area cools down. Is there a over temp sensor or something? I can open the hood for about 15 minutes and it will start.

So you have spark, it just won't start? How often does this happen? All the time?

Let me know, thanks Jay!

Every time we go somewhere in it if we dont raise the hood when we return it wont start. If I cut it off and start it right then it will start.

No service engine soon light?

Let me know, thanks Jay!

none

There are two things that I can think of that can cause hard / no start issues that are temperature related.

The MAF sensor has a heated element in it. If the MAF sensor is not metering air properly when the truck is warmed up, it can act like your describing. 90% of the time the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture can fall out of spec. Not enough to cause a code for it, but enough to cause the Air and fuel Mixture to be so off it can cause No Start, Stalling, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, poor fuel economy and running issues. I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify. Checking the voltage will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

The other would be the distributor it's self. The cam sensor that is built into the distributor has a light that pulses against the pick up wheel. Some time when it comes to heat, the light won't flicker to pick up the cam sensor signal which would cause the truck not to start. When it cools, the light can then turn on and pulse and read the pick up wheel. That cam sensor also determines injector pulse.

So I would have those two items checked. They are the most common.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Is the distributer a bolt up application?
Yes and no. It is only secured by one 12 mm bolt. But it goes in a certain way and the timing will need to be adjusted once installed.

Thanks Jay!
Can the module be replaced without changing the distributer
No, it's part of the distributor. The entire distributor would need to be replaced.

Thanks Jay!
But I would have to take it to someone to get the timing right?
Yes, you can put it back in and get it as close as you can, then take it to a shop to have the timing adjusted properly. Or you can just have a shop do it all in one shot.

Thanks Jay!

If I mount it in the same spot-or close- will it start? Can you offer any guidance on removing the distributer?

It should start, it just may not run right till you get it in time, and you shouldn't run it very long either.

Thanks Jay!
What about the guidance on the removal of the Distributer
Remove the distributor cap, and note where the rotor is pointing on the cap. Meaning what cylinder on the cap is it pointing at. Example- If the rotor is pointing at spark plug wire #2 on the cap. Then once you have determined what cylinder it's pointing at, remove the 12 mm bolt. Then lift the distributor after you have unplugged it. You may need to wiggle it a little to get it out. Also note where about the 12 mm is in that slot. Then when you drop the new one in, you will need to have the cap off again, and instead setting the rotor at number 2 and dropping it straight down, you will need to move it back a little cause when you drop it in it is spline and will turn as you drop it. If you never have done this, it may take you a few tries to drop it in correctly so you get the rotor pointing to number 2. Then put in the 12 mm bolt and put it in the around about spot it was on the old one, and lock it down.

Thanks Jay!