Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 altima: ign..on instrument panel..lights turn

Customer Question
2002 altima turn ign switch...
2002 altima turn ign switch on instrument panel and lights turn on but engine will not make a sound when engine is supposed to start the in strument panel goes black. Please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/28/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

So the instrument panel turns off when you try to start the car? Like the power was turned off?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Yes it turns off while holding the key as if turning car on, as soon as I release key the instrument panel lights back up.
That is normally due to a poor battery connection. If you can get someone to help you, what you do is have someone sit in the car holding the key in the crank position. Then loosen the negative battery terminal and wiggle and turn it. If the engine kicks, then the negative cable is what has the poor connection. If wiggling the negative does nothing, then try the positive.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!