Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

can some one tell me where the fuel pump is and how to take it out?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/28/2010
Nissan Mechanic: eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

It s located in the fuel tank, and is accessed by removing the rear seat bottom cushion:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Exploded view of the rear seat assembly-240SX

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: The bench portion of the rear seat is attached by two bolts, one on each side of the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: After removing the fasteners, the bench portion of the rear seat should slide out easily

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: The fuel pump access cover is located under the rear seat. It is secured by four screws (arrows)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Fuel pump components include the locking ring (1), fuel pump assembly (2), electrical harness (1), low pressure fuel return line (2), and high pressure fuel feed line (3)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: The locking ring should twist off easily. If it is difficult to remove, it can be tapped around gently with a small hammer and drift

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: The fuel pump assembly can then be lifted from the fuel tank

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: The fuel pump assembly consists of the pump cover (1), cover gasket (2), electric fuel pump (1), and strainer (2)

1. relieve the fuel system pressure by removing the gas cap.
  2. Remove the rear seat.
  3. Remove the fuel pump cover.
  4. Label and disconnect the electrical harness.
  5. Label and disconnect the fuel hoses.

One hose is a high pressure fuel input hose and the other is a low pressure return hose. Different hose clamps are used on each of the hoses.

1. Matchmark the locking ring with the body for installation reference. This is to prevent overtightening of the locking ring.
  2. Remove the locking ring using a special lock ring tool.

It may be possible to use a large set of locking jaw pliers to loosen the lock ring. However, extreme caution must be used to not damage the plastic ring or strip the plastic threads.

1. Remove the fuel pump and sending unit from the fuel tank.

To install:

1. Inspect the sealing gasket and replace if damaged.
  2. Install the fuel pump and sending unit in the fuel tank.
  3. Install the locking ring by hand and tighten using a special lock ring tool.

It may be possible to use a large set of locking jaw pliers to tighten the lock ring. However, extreme caution must be used to not damage the plastic ring or strip the plastic threads. Tighten the locking ring until the matchmarks align.

1. Connect the fuel hoses using the proper hose clamps for the high pressure and low pressure hoses.
  2. Connect the electrical harness.
  3. Install the fuel pump cover.
  4. Install the rear seat.
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

ok but the thing is i took all that out and the only thing i see is a box that says do not hit or the air bags will deploy. is it underneath that?

yes, it should be. disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes before moving it

im not sure if thats the problem, lets see what you think i start my car and it stays running for a while then it idles rough and dies waht could be the problem?