Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan Quest: two dealers 7 times and have gotten the same results…

Customer Question
I own a Nissan Quest...
I own a Nissan Quest, 2008. It is having A/C problems from my stand point. I have taken it into two dealers 7 times and have gotten the same results. After the second dealership replaced the compressor, condenser and expansion valve and the first dealership replaced the rear expansion valve, the second dealership told me that my van compares to the other vans on the lot. There is difference of 10 degrees from the temperature of the fresh air button and the re-circulation button. I checked today and at an idle my car showed a temp of 74 degrees for the fresh air button and a temp of 68 degrees for the re-cir button. With normal street driving the temp was 68 to 74 degrees with the fresh air button and 60 to 62 degrees for the re-cir button. The temp outside was 93 degrees. Both dealerships told me that this best I can expect for a van that has an under-engineered A/C unit. My question is should this Van perform like this and is it undersized and if not what can I do to get someone to fix it. By the way I have a Nissan X-terra and both instances my A/C there goes to 50 degrees and 48 travelling and 60 and 58 degrees idle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/27/2010
Nissan Mechanic: eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Was the ac like this from the time of purchase, or did it gradually quick cooling?

when you are checking the temperature, how and where are you checking it at?

Do you have a home box fan-one that people sit inside window opening or on floor to circulate the air? (this would be needed for a simple test later)

The A/C was never cold when we got it and it seems like it got worse. The only reason I noticed that there might be a problem was one day I road in one of the dealership's courtesy van and when I got in, at an idle the fan was freezing me out. It was a Quest.

I was checking the temp sitting outside the house in the street. I'm checking the temperature with a temp. gauge thru the front vent of the unit.

Yes I do have a box fan in the home. Let me know what I can do?

Ok, you are checking the temperature correctly.

Sorry, forgot to ask this, do you know any difference between highway driving ad city driving? Does it feel colder at highway speeds than lower city speeds?

yes. I picked up the van from the dealership yesterday and drove 15 miles home. The temperature outside was 89 degrees and I checked the temp in the car both ways. The fresh air button was showing 60 degrees and at times the re-circulation button was showing 48 to 50 degrees.

Ok, so highway driving gets us in a good range. 48-50 degrees with ambient temperature of 89 is well within specs for any ac system, although some do get colder and will go down to 40 degrees. But overall a drop of 40 degrees from outside air to temp at the vents is within specs.

Put your temp gauge in the center vent and with ac on and idling record temp after it starts blowing cold. Now, place the box fan directly in front of the condensor at the front bumper. Give it 5-10 minutes and record temp. Let me know results.

Next, if no change in temp, have someone sit in the van to record temp and use a garden hose to spray the condensor. Let me know the results.

I am here all day, so you can come back and post results and we will go from there.

Where is the condenser located in the Quest? Do you have a schematic for me or tell me where to go to see one?

The condensor looks like a smaller radiator and is located directly in front of the radiator. It sits between the radiator and front bumper behind the grille. Place box fan on a chair directly in front of front bumper dead center of it and it will push air thru the condensor.

you asked me to put water on it not a box fan...I live in houston texas and it is already 95 degrees outside......

First test is with fan box:

Put your temp gauge in the center vent and with ac on and idling record temp after it starts blowing cold. Now, place the box fan directly in front of the condensor at the front bumper. Give it 5-10 minutes and record temp. Let me know results. Place fan directly in front of the frrot grille- dead center where the Nissan emblem is.

Next test is with water hose

Next, if no change in temp, have someone sit in the van to record temp and use a garden hose to spray the condensor. Let me know the results. Spray the water directly into the front grille, again dead center. This will hit the condensor

I

ok be right back with results.
sounds good

Eric is the condenser just right below the hood latch in fromt of the radiator? small maybe 3 inches by 5 inches?

no, that is the transmission oil cooler. The condensor is around 15 x 30" or so.

the condensor is the one right in front of radiator in above diagram. You can see it is only slightly smaller than the radiator. The radiator and condensor are usuall bolted together and only separated by an inch. So the cooler you are talking about is probalby attached to the condensor

Ok did the fan test and got very little results like 5 degrees difference and then the water test and got aobut the same....it didnt drop below 70 degreess and it is 96 outside today.

Ok, the water test confirms that the condensor isnt restricted. The fan test tells us that the engine fan is drawing in proper amount of air at right airflow. If either test showed a significant difference of at least 15 degrees, then we would have something to go on.

One other possibility is that they didnt put enough of a vacuum on it after they replaced the parts. If vacuum isnt drawn on it long enough, moisture is left in the system which will affect the efficiency of the ac.

There is no way to test this other than call dealership and ask them how long the draw a vacuum on an ac system after repairs. If less than a couple of hours, this might be the problem. I generally draw a vacuum for 2-4 hours to ensure I am able to get the system as cold as possible.

We might have to wait to do any other testing or go from here until you can talk to the service department tommorrow and let me know what they said.

This question will stay open for 48 hours, so you can come back ad post your reply and we can go from there in further diagnosing

ok, thank you eric.........have you ever heard of any problems like this with a quest or a nissan. Also the dealership told me that their A/C units change from year to year so there is no uniformity to their design. Is this true?

I have had issues like this with some of the nissans in the past, but I wouldnt say an unusual amount as compared to other makes. Mostly it is a question of thorough diagnosing and when it isnt resolved easily, not giving up and saying, "its just the way they are made." Good copout, but seldom true.

There might be slight desing differences when the model is changed in appearance or such things as engine compartmet size or different engine size introduced, but its seldom a major design change.

ok...the dealership was sorta leading me to that it is a major each year....ok thank you eric. I will talk to you tomorrow....TYvm ofr all your help.

no problem. I will be online all day tommorrow and we will go from here once i know how long they pulled the vacuum. i do suspect a short time of maybe 30 minutes as the service department usually tries to rush the cars in and out of the bays as quick as possible.

look forward to talking with you tommorrow and getting your AC going.