Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 PATHFINDER: V6..TIMING BELT AND TENSIONER..WATER PUMP…

HAVE A 99 PATHFINDER V6...
HAVE A 99 PATHFINDER V6 THAT MAKES A CHIRPING NOISE. HAVE INSTALLED NEW ALT, ALL NEW PULLEYS, TIMING BELT AND TENSIONER, NEW WATER PUMP AND BELTS. CIRPING NOISE CONTINUES. ANY IDEAS? MITCH
6/27/2010
tundra_fats
The chirping noise is from the timing chain on one of the overhead camshafts. The noise is right behind all the pulleys and things you replaced. If you take a very large metal bar and put against the timing cover or on top of each head with the engine running and put your ear to the bar you will hear the chirp through the bar. It's how technicians determine rumbles and squeaks. The Nissan chirp is very common. If to have 100,000 miles on it, it's time to replace timing chains and tensioner.
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Your engine has a timing belt, not a timing chain. This expert is confused on what engine you have.

Most common for squeaky drive belts after you have verified it's not any of the pulleys is the harmonic balancer. There is a rubber bushing on the balancer that fails and causes this squeaking noise. I would start by have that checked.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
THANKS FOR RESPONDING. GOING TO REMOVE BAL AND TEST. THANKS
You got it. Thanks Jay!