Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Nissan Murano Persistent Service Engine Soon Light Have…

Customer Question
2004 Nissan Murano Persistent Service Engine...
2004 Nissan Murano
Persistent Service Engine Soon Light

Have previously chatted with your Nissan expert about this problem. Have replaced both O2 sensors on Bank 1. Now code is again 402 indicating "cat insufficiency low" Bank 1. After Heat Sensor Bank 1 was replaced this week, light came back on within an hour. Code report also mentions "evap" not completed.
I've just replaced the gas cap and always twist several times after fueling.

What do you say now?

Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/26/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! The P0420 code means the converter needs to be replaced on bank #1. The O2 sensor only reads the information coming out of the converter and tells the ecm the amount of oxygen that is in the exhaust.This is how the ecm knows if the converter is doing the job or not.

Customer:

Does this mean the only the converter should be replaced and that I didn't really need to spend all the time and $$$$$$$ replacing the sensors?

carguy1 :

Well, I would have to see the printout to know what the O2 sensor was reading. The only sensor that is even a factor here would be the O2 sensor on bank #1 after the converter. If you replaced any more then they were not needed. Most of the time when you get a converter code it is due to a faulty converter. This is tough to diagnose without a scan tool that can read the live data the rear O2 sensor sees.

carguy1 :

I want to touch on the evap also

carguy1 :

What you are seeing is the evap has no0t done it's self test yet

carguy1 :

that is what is ment by not ready

carguy1 :

this is nothing to worry about, it will do the self test when the conditions are right

Customer:

Well, now I'm not happy because I had previouly discussed this problem with JustAnswer and the previous "expert" said the front sensor needed to be replaced.........giving him the benefit of the doubt, tho.........the code at that point was 1273.

carguy1 :

Oh, so you did have an O2 code and now you have a new code. The 1273 is for the sensors. I didn't know you had different codes. The question reads like the 420 code was there all along

carguy1 :

I suspect you had a bad sensor. Now that the sensors are good,they are reading the converter and determining that it is not putting enough O2 into the exhaust.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
For clarification........All Bank 1.........initially we had a 420 and rear 02 was replaced, then 1273 so at that point I began to question the mechanic's plans and asked you folks.
Just Answer said replace Front 02. Now we are back to the 420.

Hope this makes more sense.
Ok, see the rear O2 likely didn't need to be replaced. When you got the 420 code, the converter should have been replaced. The 1273 is a code for the front A/F sensor.I checked your other question and agree with that experts diagnostics because he said if you have the 1273 and no 420 then replace the front AF sensor,which is the normal cause of action. Now you will have to replace the converter. This is going to be a bit confusing, but I want to try and explain how this all works so you have better clarity. I will do my best.
The front AF sensor helps to control the mixture on bank #1. The ecm reads the exhaust coming out after the burn but before it is purified by the converter. When it does this, it is adding or lowering the amount of fuel going into the mixture. If the AF sensor detects a lean condition(not enough fuel) then the ecm will add more fuel. This is all well and good until the ecm realizes it can't add enough fuel to make the AF sensor happy. At that point, you will get a code for the AF sensor. BY then however,the ecm may have been trying to correct the problem so long that it has damaged the converter by adding to much raw fuel. This will damage the converter and it won't add enough O2 to the exhaust and throw the P0420 code.
The converter does carry a 8yr/80k mileage warranty.So, if you are under 80k this has to be replaced free by the dealer. Please reply if needed. I hope this clarifies things a bit for you.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
I did not authorize payment on Saturday because you ended the session saying you needed more info.

Now the car is burning alot more gas again. Is that because the converter is shot?
It is very possible it is due to the converter. This is because there is a constant battle happening between the front and rear O2 sensors searching for the perfect fuel mixture. Since the converter is not functioning properly, the mixture is changing constantly.This affects the fuel trim considerably.
Also, I would not hesitate to clear the codes,this will reset the fuel trim and may get you some better fuel mileage.
The mechanic clears the codes each time the light reappears, but it soon shows up again.
I'm assuming until the converter is replaced, the light will continue to show.

Unfortuately, I'm well over 80K, but under 8 years.

Although this car is costing me know, I still enjoy owning it.

What do you know about the Nissan Rogue? I'm thinking that I might consider one to replace this Murano. I've had great service from Nissans since 1987 when I bought my first one. I loved my G20, but the front end was messed up and my husband decided it would cost too much to repair, so we bought a Maxima. After he passed, I got the Murano because the Maximum was too low for my aging back and replaced knee.

Thanks for all you help. I surely appreciate your persistance.

Best regards,
Sandy
I personally like the rouge. I think of it as a mini murano :) Although they are a bit smaller,they have plenty of power and come in awd. Haven't really seen a lot of problems with them either. A few bugs here and there when they first hit the market,but all in all a dependable car.
I am a nissan guy as well. I still drive a 00 Altima with over 140k on it. The body is beginning to fail,but the engine is till running strong. It was the last of a great car in my opinion. The 01 and the new design seemed to really kill this great car.
Again,just my opinion
Thank you for the accept and you are very welcome!

Edited by carguy1 on 6/29/2010 at 4:18 PM EST