Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan Pathfinder: Front Wheel..side front..the jeep..bearings…

Front Wheel Noise: I had a...
Front Wheel Noise:
I had a tightening and chirping sound coming from my Lt side front wheel (nissan Pathfinder 1995). I jack up the jeep and check the bearings. Both sides had a slight play when i checked it. In addition, when i rotate the wheel clockwise, i heard a tightening sound like when you are trying to lose a tight nut. However, the wheel was rotating freely (check for break lockup). So i went ahead and change both bearing (dealer parts). In less than a year, the sound return back to the same side (LT). The mechanic told me that maybe it is a vehicle defect problem. I jack up the vehicle and discovered the same problems i had before ( the tightening sound when rotate clockwise only and the wheel is spinning freely). There is no play when i shake the Lt side bearing (check for slack/bad bearing). They used high temperature greece when they changed the last set of bearings. The hub do get a bit hot when driven for a long time locally not on the highway. I don't know what I should do. Could you tell me what the problem is. THanks
6/26/2010
Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician

Hello I will help with your question please remember to click the ACCEPT when done I don't get paid unless you do

when changing the bearings on the front hubs there is not only a seal that goes on the hub after the bearing is in but there is a dust seal on the backing plate and a lot of times this seal will get dried out or brake dust can get on it when taking the rotor and hub assembly off then it will cause a chirping or squealing noise or creaking I suspect that is what is causing the noise all that needs to be done is remove the rotor and hub assembly and clean out the dust seal on the backing plate and lube it with a good bearing grease . I wouldn't worry about the hub getting hot if its not dragging they tend to get a little hot with using the brakes

Can I use high temperature greece or regular?? I know the seal that you are talking about. I also changed those. You maybe right!! THis noise return after i took it to the car wash. Do I have to greece back the bearing after i take it apart. I will try to take it apart myself and let you know.
high temp grease or regular wheel bearing grease is fine packing the wheel bearings when you take them out is always a good idea
Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Hello Rick,
I took everything apart. What i saw is after the rotor is the plate. I saw the rubber seal at the back but i think i made a mistake. HOw do you greece the seal? What I did is i clean the face of the seal and then full greece into the little hub area beyond the seal. Is this correct or you have to rub the greece on the face of the seal? I already put everything back together!! Please advice.
yes thats the way I do it just clean out the dirt and dust then hand pack some grease into the seal making sure its lubed real well