Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1993 Nissan pickup: with rear-wheel drive, with 70,000 miles..trailer…

My son has a 1993...
My son has a 1993 Nissan pickup with rear-wheel drive, with 70,000 miles, in very good condition. Can it pull a trailer--a mobile home--a "park model"--? How large a mobile, if any, can it safely pull? We found some discussion of this in the truck's manual, but it is in techn-ese and we just want to know something of the sort and size of item the truck can pull, to decide whether or not to keep it and buy a used mobile for vacationing, or whether to sell it. Your Subaru person was wonderful about my car, so I'm assuming you Nissan experts are too.
6/26/2010
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Can you be more specific on the weight you are trying to pull?
Or more specific of what you are trying to pull?
Mr. West,
Thank you. I don't know the weights involved. I'd like to know if it can (safely) pull---
(1) a small trailer that would have both a bed and a trailer toilet, perhaps space for a table (maybe), but not much other space,
(2) a small "park model" "motor home" (you've seen these, they have a tiny living room/kitchen and, behind that, a walk-through bathroom with, behind that, a tiny bedroom,
or (3) a so-called mobile or manufactured home with room-sized rooms.
Thanks!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

If the trailer is a Park Model home, which is what I am think is like a trailer park type trialer, it is to big for that truck. If it's a small camping type trailer, it may be able to tow it, but you would need to find out the exact weight of the trailer. Your truck can tow up to 1500 pounds with out a trailer brake. It can tow above 1500 to around 3500 pound ( the weight of a old car ) with a trailer brake. If the trailer is heavier than that, you will need a bigger truck. I believe you would need one with a 5th wheel.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Thank you. I can't find where to leave positive feedback, but you have been great.Smile
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!