Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Altima: acts..it is in neutral while driving on freeway..mins…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Altima...
I have a 2003 Altima with 2.5 engine. Symptons: Hard to start and occasionally the engine revs to 5,000 rpm and transmission acts like it is in neutral while driving on freeway and you have to pull over and kill engine for a few mins before moving on. Shop I have used for years replaced the crank and speed sensors. Told me the ECM was bad and I needed to take to a Nissan dealer for the ECM and to have it flashed. Nissan dealer said diag showed ECM to be fine; crank and speed sensors were bad. Called garage back and they said change ECM with dealer. Dealer asked for waiver to install ECM since it showed good on diag. I signed. New ECM changed nothing. Still hard to start and it did the RPM thing on the way from Dealer to Shop. I am out a lot of money and have gotten nowhere. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/26/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Yes. the light is on.
do you know what code is stored?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
I will have to get that info from the Shop guys. Make take a little time as they are closed sat/sun. I will get it asap. thanks.
Do you have a Auto Zone near you by any chance? They scan cars at no charge. Could you run down there and have it scanned so you can get me the code?

Let me know, thanks Jay!

Car is in the Shop. I will see what I can do. thanks

Ok, keep me posted. Once you tell me the code, I am sure I can help. Thanks Jay!