Doctor D
Doctor D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 20 Years Experience
5480360

Got a good one! 1996 altima 2.4 auto. Quit while running.

Customer Question

Got a good one! 1996 altima 2.4 auto. Quit while running. Stater rakes while cranking, almost comes to a halt sometimes. If you play with the ignition timing, you can get it to run above 2200rpm won't idle and the tach bounces all over the place. Every once in a while it will rev smooth but won't idle. Anybody have any ideas? This ting is kicking my butt and costing me alot of money!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Doctor D replied 8 years ago.

What was the original customer complaint and condition?

Has anything improved or changed with any of those new parts that were installed?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Quit while driving. Would not restart. No components made a difference. Only thing that made a difference was moving the distributor. Did not find any excessive slack in timing chain. But did not actually check if the chain was in time.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 8 years ago.

you shouldn't have chain problems unless there is an oil problem...Is there?

and i mean like 10,000 mile oil changes.

How many miles do we have on her now?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
About 165k, no oil problem. The car did run off the road and smashed the lower and upper oil pan. Replaced both. If you can diagnose this I will send you more money. I really need help!
Expert:  Doctor D replied 8 years ago.

hey,

Well give me as much info as you can.

When starting you say it hangs up? like timing too advanced thing?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes! While cranking it seems the timing is too advanced! The starter wants to kick back or grind to a halt. I am an ASE certified in Engine repair,Engine performance,Brakes,Steering and Suspension. If you can help me. I would greatly appreciate it! If you can help me,I'll send you $100 dollars. I took it to a Nissan dealership and they couldn't figure it out. I think I got a young technician who was just guessing. The car had a cam sensor code. Replaced distributor with one from e-bay. Supposed to be a reman. But I question its quality. It also had a crank sensor code. Replaced crank sensor and pigtail going to it. No change. It also had a knock sensor code. But at idle the motor would shake pretty bad. So I think that might be a false code. I'm not sure how I can send you more money. But if you help me solve this. I promise I will find a way!
Expert:  Doctor D replied 8 years ago.

These engine are famous for bad intake gaskets, but you have bigger problems then that. Lets do a compression test to test for timing and mechanical trouble. With the miles you have on this I would bet a chain guide broke or worn out causing chain to slip a tooth. So thats your next procedure, Lets check compression. and then if thats off lets pull the chain cover and inspect timing.