Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

my car wont crank...dash lights come..no smoking or running hot…

Customer Question
my car wont crank. all...
my car wont crank. all the dash lights come on but there is no sound. prior to this there was no smoking or running hot. I do have an oil leak that hasnt been attended to in the past couple of months. What do you think could be the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/25/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
A no crank on this vehicle is often caused by a bad ignition switch or starter relay.
Does the vehicle click when you turn the key?

1. Take the inhibitor relay out. It has 4 terminals, without cruise control. Check power at the inhibitor relay connector with the key on. One wire should have power.

2. Check for the 2nd wire to get battery voltage at the inhibitor relay connector, with the key in the crank position.

3. If no power, battery voltage supply to the coil winding of the inhibitor relay is on a White wire from the ignition switch, in the crank position only. Go to the ignition switch and check power on the White wire while cranking - the White wire is on the harness side of the ignition switch connector (not the ignition switch side).

graphic