Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Nissan Titan: 4x4, king cab..i felt a clunk..only in low gears.

Customer Question
2005 Nissan Titan, 4x4, king...
2005 Nissan Titan, 4x4, king cab. 103 K miles no problems till now, I was at redlight and accelerated and i felt a clunk, like something shifted in the bed. it did it it several more times. only in low gears. any idea? transmission fluid is full, no leaks. i have smelt a funny smell the past couple of weeks, almost like burning wires? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/25/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
You need to check the rubber liner of the driveshaft support bearing, it is in the center between the 2 halves of your rear driveshaft, sounds like the bearing has failed and is spinning or overheating the rubber bushing.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
What about the clunk?
When the rubber fails it allows the bearing to contact the frame, causing a clunk noise. graphic
the driveshaft is solid, no unions/universals.
Sorry, my reference showed a 2 piece. Can you check your rear trans mount? You may have to use a pry bar to lift up on the trans/transfer case.

am i looking for free play like when the transmission loads up to transfer torque?

Yes, it will raise up away from the crossmember if the mount has failed.
I looked at the tailstock on trans, there is about a 1/2 inch of rubber bushing showing. when i turned in the street to the driveway it clunked 4 times, then i coasted. it seems like if its under a load it wouldn't be able to keep clunking? Am i wrong in thinking this?
As the driveshaft turns it relieves stress on the mount so it basically oscillates up and down, causing multiple clunks or shaking. There is also some change in loading from the u-joints when their angle is disturbed.