Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

maxima: car will start but not stay running..shuts down

Customer Question
I just changed the battery...
I just changed the battery in an 01 maxima and the car will start but not stay running. I can drive it by maintaining about 1500rpm minimum but when I come to a stop it shuts down unless I can maintain the 1500rpm
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/25/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Yes
First thing you will need to have done is first see what code you have stored. Most Auto Zones have this service where they will scan your car for codes at no charge. Once you get the code you can return here and I can help you with it.

There is no way I can guess what code you have, but if I was, I would guess you have a P0505 code. This is due to the Idle Air Control Valve. Now there is a issue with this IAC valve. When it fails it takes out the Ecm. So you have to replace both, the IAC valve and the Ecm. That is the only way to correct it. If you do not do that, it can result in the ecm damaging the new IAC or vise versa. So if you have that code, that is what you will be looking at. You will also need to have your keys reprogrammed if you have that code and change the IAC and ECM.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!