Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 nissan maxima: squeaking..both belts..sprayed..10-15 minutes…

Customer Question
1995 nissan maxima squeaking at...
1995 nissan maxima squeaking at the crank pulley. changed both belts still squeaks sprayed WD40 on it squeak stops for about 10-15 minutes and starts to squeak again . What is the problem ? is it the pulley ? Can they be changed out or are they one assembly crankshaft pulley ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/24/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,

Classification: EM09-013

Reference: NTB10-002

Date: January 12, 2010

DRIVE BELT SYSTEM NOISE DIAGNOSIS

APPLIED VEHICLES All Nissan

IF YOU CONFIRM

There is noise coming from the drive belt(s), or drive belt pulley(s),

ACTION

Use the flow chart in this bulletin to help diagnose and identify the source / cause of the noise.

CLAIMS INFORMATION

Refer to the current Nissan Warranty Flat Rate Manual and use the indicated claims coding for any repairs performed.

DRIVE BELT / PULLEY NOISE DIAGNOSIS FLOW CHART

Auto tensioner Inspection (if equipped)

1. With the engine running at idle and the AC turned ON, observe the pulley angular (side to side) movement (see Example 1):

^ See above table for maximum movement specification.
^ Visual comparison of movement with a known good vehicle is recommended.

2. With the engine running at idle and the AC turned ON, observe the pulley axial/lateral (back and forth) movement (see Example 2):

^ Maximum movement specification is 1 mm.

Idler Pulley / Manual Tensioner Inspection (if equipped)

No more than 1 mm of pulley rock should be visible.

Alternator One-way Clutch Pulley Inspection

CAUTION:
Be careful not to damage the rotor.

NOTE:
The following steps can be done while the alternator is installed on the vehicle if the drive belt is removed and the alternator electrical connectors are disconnected.

1. Secure the rotor using a medium size screwdriver and a rolled shop towel.

2. Turn the pulley clockwise when viewed from the front.

^ Pulley should be locked.
^ If it rotates in both directions, replace the alternator.

3. Turn the pulley counterclockwise when viewed from the front.

^ Pulley should turn with some dragging
^ If it locks or has unusual resistance, replace the alternator.