Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan Pathfinder: Power Steering..coil, plugs..cap..two injectors…

Customer Question
I have a Nissan Pathfinder...
I have a Nissan Pathfinder 1991.
It stop dead in the street and would not restart.
In doing a routine analysis of the problem two things stood out.
The timing belt was broken and the fuel pump was not working.
I replaced the fuel pump and filter and the timing belt and
all of the three drive belts (Alternator, Power Steering, and the Air conditioner belt.
When I did not get a spark when everything was put back together I replaced
the coil, plugs, distributer, distributer cap, Computer, and the ignition Control module.
We also replaced two injectors that appeared to be damaged.
The starter motor, Battery, And Alternator all check out as being good.
To be sure that the timing was good I hooked up the Timing light and checked out
the timing mark alignment which looks good to me and to my grandson who was
helping me with these tasks. We are getting spark and we smell gas and when
we crank the engine it appears to try to start on the first crank but then it just
cranks with out sputtering. I would appreciate any thing you could tell me about
this situation and how to get this car started.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/24/2010
Nissan Mechanic: AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC

Hello!

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is AMEDEE. I will be happy to help you out and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Hello!

I am just checking up on you,

What have we found on the Nissan?