Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2005 Nissan Sentra wont start got diagnostics check and

Customer Question
My 2005 Nissan Sentra won't...
My 2005 Nissan Sentra won't start got diagnostics check and the codes P1031, and P0335. Not sure what really needs to get fixed. people are telling me one thing and others something else. What is wrong with my vehicle so i can get it fixed
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/22/2010
Nissan Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 7 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

sounds like a bad crank sensor that is the 335 code, the 1031 is a o2 sensor code, which would not affect the starting of the car

DTC P0335 CKP SENSOR (POS)

Component Description

The crankshaft position sensor (POS) is located on the cylinder block rear housing facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the signal plate at the end of the crankshaft. It detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.

The sensor consists of a permanent magnet and Hall IC. When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change.

The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change.

Due to the changing magnetic field, the voltage from the sensor changes.

The ECM receives the voltage signal and detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.

ECM receives the signals as shown in the figure.

CONSULT-II Reference Value in Data Monitor Mode

On Board Diagnosis Logic

DTC Confirmation Procedure

NOTE: If DTC Confirmation Procedure has been previously conducted, always turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds before conducting the next test.

TESTING CONDITION:
Before performing the following procedure, confirm that battery voltage is more than 10 V with ignition switch ON.

WITH CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch ON and select "DATA MONITOR" mode with CONSULT-II.
  2. Crank engine for at least 2 seconds and run it for at least 5 seconds at idle speed.
  3. If 1st trip DTC is detected, go to "Diagnostic Procedure". If 1st trip DTC is not detected, go to next step.
  4. Maintaining engine speed at more than 800 rpm for at least 5 seconds .
  5. If 1st trip DTC is detected, go to "Diagnostic Procedure".

WITH GST
Follow the procedure "WITH CONSULT-II" above.

EC-POS-01

Wiring Diagram

Diagnostic Procedure (Step 1)

Diagnostic Procedure (Steps 2 - 5)

Diagnostic Procedure (Steps 6 - 9)

Diagnostic Procedure

Component Inspection

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (POS)

1. Disconnect crankshaft position sensor (POS) harness connector.
  2. Loosen the fixing bolt of the sensor.
  3. Remove the sensor.
  4. Visually check the sensor for chipping.

1. Check resistance as shown in the figure. If NG, replace crankshaft position sensor (POS).

DTC P0335 CKP SENSOR (POS)

Component Description

On Board Diagnosis Logic

DTC Confirmation Procedure

TESTING CONDITION:

WITH CONSULT-II

WITH GST

EC-POS-01

Wiring Diagram

Diagnostic Procedure (Step 1)

Diagnostic Procedure (Steps 2 - 5)

Diagnostic Procedure (Steps 6 - 9)

Diagnostic Procedure

Component Inspection

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (POS)

3. Remove the sensor.

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
So it has nothing to do with the fuel pump or anything like that

i highly doubt it

the proper testing procedure would be to check for fspark and fuel pressure

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy