Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan altima: the engine rotates, but wont start on most occasions…

Customer Question
i have an 02 nissan...
i have an 02 nissan altima with about 122000 miles on it. lately, its been getting more difficult to start the car. the engine rotates, but wont start on most occasions. it used to take pressing the gas pedal while turning the key to get it running but earlier this week, it wont start at all but the engine still rotates. where do i begin to look to fix it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/22/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

is this a 2.5 or a 3.5

have you plugged in a scan tool to read codes?

Paul

2.5

i had a mechanic plug a scan tool in but i dont remember the exact code. his advice was to change the spark plugs and get a tune. i took it to a shop and had that done but the problem was still there.

the mechanics at the shop i took it to said it may have somethin to do with the fuel injectors

a very common failure on these vehicles is the Camshaft Position Sensor

causing a no start

it would help if you could pull engine codes . Parts stores like AUtozone will read your codes for free..

is the car running at all now?

I would suspect the camshaft sensor

click here for more information on the camshaft sensor failure

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul

i pulled the codes and it came back with P0300 multiple cylinder misfire. when i try to start it, the engine shakes alot
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Did you notice if your engine has a oil consumption problem?

Let me know, thanks Jay!