Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Leaking antifreeze..its around the waterpump, and it..overheats…

Customer Question
My car has been recently...
My car has been recently leaking antifreeze, but I don't know where it's coming from. It looks like it's around the waterpump, and it only leaks at night when the car is off never when it's on. Also it never overheats.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/18/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Ron :

Where is the coolant lay on the ground in reference to the engine?

Customer:

right below the engine on the front side of the oil pan.

Ron :

Left or right side?

Customer:

more on the right side

Ron :

Yes that in most cases could be the weep hole on the water pump, in most case they seal up when running and leak when shut off.

Customer:

Is it a thing to worry about or is it normal? Can humidity be a factor because we live in a high humid area.

Ron :

If the pump is leaking, you do not want to let it go to long. If its coolant, no its not humidity, if it looks like clear water then it could be the AC evap leaking notmal drain off.

Customer:

It is coolant and it does look like it's coming from an area around the water pump. It just started like a week ago, so do I stop driving the car or can I drive around until I get a new water pump, which would be like 2 -3 weeks?

Ron :

As long as you keep a close eye on the coolant and its not running out, you can likely run it a bit longer.

Customer: How hard is it to replace the waterpump on my vg30? Do I have to remove all the timing belt covers or once I remove the fan belt and the fan, then I will be able to remove the pump?
Ron :

The covers will have to come off to get to the water pump.

Customer: Do I need to remove the crank shaft pulley to remove the covers?
Ron :

Yes in most cases the pully has to come off. Because this is a UK Nissain, I am unable to send you instructions,