Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Frontier SE: V6..4x4..The check engine light came on so i…

Customer Question
I have an 02 frontier...
I have an 02 frontier SE V6 4x4 ext cab and bed. The check engine light came on so i when to and auto store to get it read. It said i needed a pre and post o2 sensor and a knock sensor. doesn't this truck have 4 o2 sensor and is the pre and post on each side of the engine near the whel well. Becuse the other are way back aft the catalytic. Now for the knock sensor, it states to remove the intake cover, and the mechanic is telling me it is under the coolant hose, but i don't se anything like the part gave me. I see the ignition wires running down the lower manifold, but do not see any other plugs except the aac sensor plugs in front and back on the intake cover.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/17/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
The truck does have 4 O2 sensors. I need to know the specific codes to determine which ones should be replaced. Also to check for any service bulletins, there are several pertaining to the O2 sensors, so the truck might not actually need them.
The knock sensor is located under the lower intake manifold and bolted to the block. I think labor for this job is 7 hours. The knock sensor however won't even turn the check engine light on and you can live without replacing it. It is there on 99% of the nissans we work on. It really doesn't affect the drivability of the truck. Please give me the specific P codes and I can give you further instruction. An example of this is P0139, this is just an example and the numbers may be different.
Hope this helps!
code p0328 for knock sensor, p1163, bank one sensor one 02 sensor, p1132 for fuel air ratio Af Sensor bank 1, one circiut high voltage, not sure how to adjust that.
Ok, are you sure it is a P1132? I am not locating that one in the service manual,I do show P0132 is it possible?
yes, that's it
which is it,I am sorry but I want to give you the right info my friend!
p0328 p1163, p0132
Ok, you only need one O2 sensor for this. You need to replace the O2 sensor in front of the converter on the passenger side to repair this problem. The codes are for the same sensor and this is a burnt out heater element on this sensor. This will resolve the code and once the check engine light is cleared the light will stay off.Even if you don't replace the knock sensor the light will not come back on. Since the 1163 and the 0132 are for the same sensor you only need one to resolve the problem.
Hope this helps! Please reply if needed!

can i replace this and see before it end this question? i've got the put the manifold back together, on a witch hunt.

Certainly! Change the sensor and clear the codes and let me know! Also, when you change the sensor, make sure there is no water in the plug,if there is use air to dry it out and add dielectric grease when you install the new sensor.