Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 xterra: antenna wire..wipers and trim and have the glove box…

Customer Question
Hi-- I'm trying to replace the...
Hi--
I'm trying to replace the antenna wire on a 2000 xterra. I took off the wipers and trim and have the glove box off in the car. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get to the rest of the wire? I've followed the wire from the radio and took it out of the clips that were holding it up (about three or four). It then runs behind the heater(blower?) I was hoping that I could just attach the new wire to the old wire and pull it through, but it doesn't move. Any suggestions? Or is there another way to run it into the car?
Thanks,
Steve---
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/14/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
I assume you have the inner fender out of the truck?
I don't...didn't want to take more stuff apart than I needed to. Do I just pull that loose after taking the mudflap and trim screws out?
Yes, there will be some clips holding it on. There is a clip in there holding the antenna wire. This might be what is holding you up.My thought is that maybe you can run the wire under the heater instead of behind it.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
ah, got it! JUst had to pop that clip off and the rubber gasket. there was no way to the gasket back on. do you think moisture will get in? I'm thinking that i will need to find a way to block that area around where the wire goes through. Maybe putty? or a glob of silicone by hand since it is to tight to get in there with anything.
Thanks!
Great news! I would try to put something in there,silicone would be fine,just something to keep the water out.
Thanks for the accept!