Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

96 maxima: turn over at all could it be the starter?

Customer Question

Hello i have a 96 maxima my car will not start i had the battery and altinator checked they are fine. it will not turn over at all could it be the starter?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Do you hear a click when trying to start it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

the radio, lights and s/c come on but nothing else

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

I understand, I need to know about the click, this will help me determine if it is a wiring problem or a problem with the starter.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it does not click or ne thing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

ok, it is a wiring or a security problem then. You are likely not getting power to the starter.First, lets try resetting the security system. Close everything up and lock the car.Then using the key,unlock the door and wait 30 seconds and open the door.See if it will then start or at least turn over and let me know!

The hood and trunk must also be closed

Edited by carguy1 on 6/11/2010 at 6:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
still nothing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
ok, we have a wiring problem happening here then. Do you have a test light? or can you make a jumper wire if I tell you where to put it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how do i do that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
ok, you need to look under the hood in along the passenger fender. There should be a relay there labeled "inhibitor" You need to take it out and look at the bottom of it. There will be numbers on it.You need to take a jumper wire and install it where the relay was in the location of pins # XXXXX and #7, then try to start the car and see if there is any luck!. Let me know!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i didnt see ne thing that said inhibitor on it. there is a box there that has relays in it for anti theft/ start, horn etc. is that what i need

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

is this a manual transmission?

Sounds like you are in the right area

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no its auto matic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, got my signals crossed. There should be another box in front of the battery. Check that one for the inhibitor relay.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there is no cover on the box so i dont know which one is the inhibitor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

k here is a diagram to help you out.This is not a good sign!

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i got nothing when i did that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Ok, we need a test light to continue, do you have one?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

no

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.

ok, if you can get one I can tell you how to use it. any parts store will have it

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have the light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Ok, to use the test light, put the clamped end on the negative battery terminal. Then take the pointed end and put it in the location $#6 on the relay. Have someone try to start the car.The test light should light. Let me know the outcome and we will go from there!