Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

rough idle..gears..sign, parked..dash lights head lights will dim…

Customer Question
i have rough idle that...
i have rough idle that goes from 450 to 1,000 RPM in all gears, this occurs at idle IE red light, stop sign, parked in garage at home hot motor or cold motor. the dash lights head lights will dim as the RPMs drop. i haev a comne filter as the only modifacation to the motor. there is no trouble with cold start warm/hot start i use injector cleaner every other week. distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs and wires all have been changed. i get a P0304 even after the changes. anyone have any thoughts on what could possible be going on.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/10/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Take a can of carb cleaner and spray it along the intake manifold with the car running. If the skip smooths out then you have an intake manifold gasket leaking. It normally leaks at #4 and causes the #4 misfire. Make sure to get it in there and see what happens. Give this test a try and let me know!

Thanks

ive tried that already with no resolve. that was one of the things i failed to mention. what i did find is that if i spray the cleaner into the direction of the EGR valve or cone filter th skip as you call it smooths out then started back up.
then that indicates a vacuum leak at the egr or the bpt valve. In that stretch of vacuum lines or a problem with the diaphram on one of them. You have to try and pinpoint the area the cleaner is sucked in. 99% of the time it is the intake. There is one vacuum line that runs below the intake on the bpt valve I believe.
i not getting the smoothing out when i spray the lines i get it when i spray directly at the egr, not a short quick spray, its 2 or 3 second stright 3 or 4 inches away heavy saturation. alrighty ill try again thanks

try spraying closer to where the throttle body end of the manifold bolts to the head. If you have to saturate it to much then there is no telling where the leak is. You have to get closer to it so you can pinpoint it.

IACCV or TPS could be the problem? i am not finding any leaks in the intake manafold, head,or EGR. i used a straw to spray carb cleaner right onto the gaskets and there is no smoothing of the idle.
IAC and TPS would not cause a code on only one cylinder. I think it may be time to check compression on #4 or move the fuel injector from 4 to 3 and see if the misfire goes with it.Funny it originally made change when you sprayed the carb cleaner and now it doesn't. I would say it has to be the next steps.
i rechecked the code and its now telling me a pending p0300 so its multiple cylinder misfire. originally the carb cleaner was sprayed in tin a saturation manner about 2 inches away for 3 to 4 seconds i tried it again same distance but less time didnt do anything. compression test time.
ok, since it is multiple misfire now check the distributor. Look under the cover under the rotor and see if there is any oil in there. The cam sensor is in there and if there is oil under the cover it can keep the distributor from working right and give you the 300 code. Also, possible fuel pressure issue. Should be 36 psi while running.
check the distributor its self or the capand rotor? the cap and rotor have been replaced to new along with the wires and plugs. i started there. what would cause a drop in fule preasseure? i changed the filter about 2 months ago.

well, as for the distributor, it is the plastic cover under the rotor. You have to remove the cap and rotor to get the plastic cover off for checking the cam sensor.

A week fuel pump will have lower fuel pressure

i removed the plastic guard fron the distributor and see the metal disk i do not see any oil just dirt that i cleaned away.
ok, dirt is ok as long as there isn't to much.I guess the next step will have to be the fuel pressure and compression.,also just for grins, make sure when you push up on the bottom of the egr valve, the car stalls or runs rougher. If the egr is stuck open a bit it can cause the misfire as well.
ok thats good to know. ok ill do that next. i press the egr diaphram up all the way and it gets real rough i stalled it twice doing that. as far as stuck open it dosent stick it returns to the normal closed position o i also stall in reverse while baccking. any ideas whyor is that related to whats going on?
I think I would have to check the fuel pressure next.This is a odd one,going from one cylinder to all of them like that. I suspect it is all related,just got to narrow it down or find it!
alrighty thanks ill do all that ya tell me bout odd.
let me know and we will take it from there!