Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2005 altima: wont start..I replaced cam sensor and crank sensor..coils

Customer Question
2005 altima 2.5 wont start...
2005 altima 2.5 wont start. I replaced cam sensor and crank sensor, getting plenty fuel but no spark from coils.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 7 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Did you have codes for the cam and crank sensors?

No. I replaced the head gasket. It was running when I received it to repair it but was sluggish until it get going.Everything went back together like a puzzle just fine. Its timed correct and everthing. It started a few times after and run and idle pretty good but not good acceleration. After running it for 45 minutes no start hit every now and again. No spark coming from the coils.

Ok,so now it flat out won't start at all? Did you already check for power and ground to the coils?
I have all the grounds hooked up and the power should come from the ECM right, If the cam and crank sensors are good?
No, you get signal from the ecm in the form of a ground. Check the red wires on the coils for battery voltage with the key on and let me know.

Yep the red wires getting fire.

Ok, Do you have a scan tool available?Not a code reader but an actual scan tool?
Yes
Ok, this may seem like a silly question, but can you give me the location that you replaced the cam sensor at?

At the rear of the head next to temp sensor standing on driver side.

Ok,I have seen them put in the wrong location so I had to ask!

Alright, if you crank the engine, can you see the rpms on your scan tool?

Not for sure still gettting familiar with it .It is new.But it says it displays live sensor and monitor datastreams.The rpm tries to move when it almost starts.

you mean the tach gage on the instrument panel? I would like to have you try and get the readings with the scan tool.Also, check for any codes happening. It will tell us if the cam and crank sensors are working or not. If not,there will be a code stored.

The code that pulled up is p1111 intake valve timing control solenoid valve.Also in the data frame: Load % 100.0 ; spark adv 6 ; RPM 213 ;TP 3.1 and MAF 0.306
Ok, well, first,check and make sure the solenoid is plugged in all the way. Here is a diagram of its location.
graphic
Its all the way in and in clipped good.
Ok, one thing I did notice is the rpms are low. You need at least 250 rpms for the car to fire. It is possible that you have a weak battery,so I would charge it or use a jump box.We need to get the rpm to 250 before you will get any fire out of the car.
I think it is also possible there is a loose connection where the harness connector is for the
IVT solenoid and the coils plug in. This may be worth checking as well, but I would really like to see higher rpms. I know it will not start under 250
I have to sign off for the evening. I will be back on at 7 am eastern time. Let me know how it goes!
Hey carguy1 I got the rpm up and it still wont start. ima have it sent to an electrical shop. Its got to be something going on with the wiring somewhere.Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX all your help.

I am sure it is electrical, just not sure where. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.Thanks

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician