Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2000 nissan sentra: problem is with acceleration..park..1500 rpm..die

Customer Question

we have a 2000 nissan sentra, problem is with acceleration while in gear. while in park the engine runs smooth and strong, rev nicely. once you put it into gear it starts to fall on its face, revs sporadically, most of the time not over 1500 rpm, then it spudders and tries to die. The check engine light went on for a little bit but then disappeared, after this happened the engine started running like crap.

We just had it into the shop where the catalytic converter was replaced, and also I believe the fuel injection module was replaced. Where do I go from here?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

I would start by checking the Air and fuel mixture. If this mixture is off, it can act like you are describing. The component that can cause this is the MAF ( MASS AIR FLOW ) sensor. 90% of the time MAF sensor meter air incorrectly causing this type of problem and will never turn a check engine soon light because it's still metering air, it's just metering it incorrectly. So I would have your air and fuel mixture checked to see if the MAF sensor is your problem. You will need a scanner to check it. If bad, I would recommend replacing it with a OEM. After markets are much cheaper but never seem to work. They use a cheap heated element that if you use a After Market MAF, you start to chase a problem that doesn't exist.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it was the Mass air Flow meter, wouldn't that affect the engine at all times, even in park? right now the engine runs fine in park and even revs up great in park.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
plus today when I went to start it this morning after over night, it seems to be running fine now? this is Fustrating when you can't seem to make it repeat itself.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
plus today when I went to start it this morning after over night, it seems to be running fine now? this is Fustrating when you can't seem to make it repeat itself. one other bit of info the maf was just replaced less than a week ago
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Was the MAF sensor that was replaced OEM? Cause if it wasn't it would definitely would explain why it's good some days and some days not, and sometimes it won't accelerate and some time it will. This is one of the reasons I mention that if replaced with a after market one, you would be chasing your tail.

Let me know if this was after market one installed. Thanks Jay!