Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

1991 Nissan Pathfinder VG30E engine. Fuel Pump fuse keeps

Customer Question
burning out. Problem is not...
1991 Nissan Pathfinder VG30E engine. Fuel Pump fuse keeps burning out. Problem is not fuel pump and not fuel pump relay. Wiring all checks out okay. Problem started all of a sudden. And now car won't start because fuse burns out everytime key is place in ON position.
Qould a bad IACV create this problem? replaced the fuel pump and same symptoms. using a 20A fuse vehicle idles for about 10 seconds then dies.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
3/3/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
OK if you disconnect the fuel pump does the fuse still blow right away when turning on the truck?
OK and you check the entire harness going to the the fuel pump and its fine all wires check out ok?
i am wondering if the IACV would cause this
Disconnect the connector to the IACV and see if the fuse still blows.Let me know.
i cannot reach it, or else i would have done this already
Have you checked the ecu?
it seems to function normally. now the battery is dead so diagnosis will will have to wait until the battery is charged.
OK once the battery is charged let me know.In the mean time I will look a few things up to check .
Relist: I still need help.
the battery is charged and i am testing the harness
well I have another question- noone seems to sell the fuel pump assembly for the pathfinder, but i wonder if the assembly from the nissan D21 pickup will fit?
Nissan Mechanic: Rick, Nissan Master Technician replied 7 years ago
Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician

Hi my name is***** will try to help,

first I doubt a fuel pump assy from a D21 truck will work the tanks are completely different

and it seems that your fuel pump and relay are working

I think your on the right track with the iacv because it also gets its power from the fuel pump fuse if the iacv is shorted it could be the cause of the fuse blowing and increasing the amperage of the fuse isn't the answer that could just damage the wiring

i believe the wire that feeds power to the iacv is white with a blue stripe

i know its hard to get to the connector for it because its under the back of the plennum

but un plugging it may be the best way to verify where the short is judging from your previous posts it looks like you've eliminated the circuit to the fuel pump

i'm not exactly sure but the iacv may go through the engine sub harness connector thats located on the top of the engine above the right valve cover you might try unplugging the connector there and see if the short dissapears

I unplug the IACv and it still blows.
I have identified a wiring issue , and when i tried to repair it i damaged one of the fuel pump assembly bulkhead passthru terminals (I heard it hissing, depressurizing) , so I need the fuel pump assembly for a 1991 pathfinder, and I cannot find it any where. do you know of a part that will fit? bosch and airtex seem to make replacements for the D21, i wonder if they also make a replacement for the pathfinder.

thats a tough on I don't know if bosch or airtex would carry it for a WD21 like yours you can try them you might try a wrecking yard if you only need the terminals then you could exchange the new parts you have put in already

I imagine you could order what you need through your local dealer though im sure thats more expensive

Rick
Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician