Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 01 Infiniti QX4 with a 3.5. I have problems overheating.

Customer Question
I replaced radiator, thermostat, water...
I have a 01 Infiniti QX4 with a 3.5. I have problems overheating. I replaced radiator, thermostat, water control valve, cooling fan clutch and iac gasket. I have found no leaks and I am still overheating. I can drive it for a while and then the heat stops working an then starts to overheat. I put it in neutral an rev it and temp goes down drive a lil further an starts to overheat again throw it in neutral and rev goes back down. I have been chasing this problem for months. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/22/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Have you just been putting coolant in the truck when you did the thermostat and radiator? Did you bleed the coolant system?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Yes iv tried bleeding it manualy from port in rear on top of intake manifold and tried using an airlift, I think I found the problem I think it is leaking from the water outlet housing that houses the water control calve I think it is leakin where it meets the heads allowing air to enter and create a airpocket anymore help would be appreciated
Well if you still have a leak, that will cause a air pocket for sure. Have you verified it's leaking from that water valve pipe?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
I have fixed all leaks replaced all hoses. I have pretty much replaced the entire cooling system minus water pump. I was thinking it is the head gaskets but not sure. I can drive it short distances but if I drive it on the highway for about 10 to 15 minutes it overheats. Any ideas?? thanks Daniel
Try to bleed the coolant system like this and see if this corrects your problem.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket. Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat.graphicgraphic

If you don't have or can't get a coolant bucket, you can make one. See image.graphic

If this doesn't work, feel free to return and I will continue to help you. This is the proper way of bleeding the coolant system and should correct your issue. Thanks Jay!
I have already tried this, did it as you stated and had good heat even tried to "churn" the heater hoses to get out any air and even tried opening the bleeder on the back top of the engine. Heat works fine then after driving for 10 to 15 min on the highway it begins to overheat. If it overheats enough coolant comes out of the coolant overflow bottle.
You may have a bad head gasket. The bad head gasket is pushing air into the coolant system which can cause the over heating, and explain why it's bubbling over the over flow bottle. I would have that checked since bleeding it didn't help.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
What is the best way to check for a blown headgasket? I have done a compression test on bank 1 only and came up with 180 on 1 3 5. I appreciate your help.
There is a dye that gets added to the coolant system that detects compression. Compression tests, and coolant pressure checks may not show it. These head gaskets are metal and are no the paper type, so they can act up by the expansion and contraction on metal.

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Where do I get something like this? Are you talking about a combustion leak detector?
It's part of special kit. It's best to make some phone calls and see if a place has the equipment to perform this. Yes, it's like a combustion leak detector.

Thanks for the Accept. Thanks Jay!
What would you call this kit or this product? I have a combustion leak detector by leslie or whatever an it tested negative but I may have done it wrong. Thanks for your help.
I have only see it done once and thought it was cool. A dye is added to the coolant system, then with a coolant bucket on top of the radiator, as your bleeding it. Get the truck to operating temperature and then use the black light to inspect the bucket for bubbles and for the dye color to change indicating compression is getting into the coolant system. Leave the coolant bucket on the truck for at least 10 to 20 mins after you have got the truck to operating temperature, and continue to monitor it.

Thanks Jay!
O wow that does sound cool as hell thanks for the help man.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician