Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 NISSAN ARMADA LE 5.6L WHILE DRIVING CAR JUST QUIT,REPLACED…

Customer Question
2005 NISSAN ARMADA LE 5.6L...
2005 NISSAN ARMADA LE 5.6L WHILE DRIVING CAR JUST QUIT,REPLACED BATTERY STARTED RIGHTUP. WHEN IT WAS TURNED OFF IT WOULD NOT START BACK. REPLACED FUEL PUMP STILL WONT START. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING WHEN TRYING TO START.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Nissan
2/8/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician replied 12 years ago
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician

Good Moring,

Is it the check engine light or the secruity lamp that is flashing? Jim

It is the check engine light
Ok.. let me check a few things and get back to you.. Jim
check engine
Since the check engine light is flashing the next step is to scan or have it scanned and check for codes. Can you check to see if you have spark and injector pulse. JB
very rural area no nissan software reader or coder

Here are a few things to try.

1. Another ign key and if you have another Key FOB

2. Need to check for spark to plugs and injector pulse... Have someone crank engine and see if you can hear injectors click.

3. Disconnect battery for 5 minutes.. Then disconnect BOTH battery terminals and touch together for 10 seconds.. Again disconnect BOTH cables. Or else you will damage electric system. Then reconnect and see if that helps

Here is a little background that may help.. Jim

Let me find the location of the Relay or ICDM

11 fixes out of 11 were the main relay listed below.

1

Vehicle Application:
2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada 5.6L2004 Nissan Titan 5.6L
Customer Concern:The engine cranks but won't start, has no spark or injector pulse and no communication with a scan tool.
Tests/Procedures:1. With the key on check for power to the ignition coils on the White/Blue wire. If there is no power, check the operation of the engine control module main relay which is located in the engine room Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM). This relay also powers up the engine control module.

2. If the coils have power, check for loss of signal from either the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Both should output square wave signals during cranking.
Potential Causes:Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
Engine Control Module (ECM) Relay
Tech Tips:The technician says there are 4 relays on the bottom row, and counting from left to right the ECM relay is #2, switched that relay with #4 and the truck started. Turns out that an ECM relay is not available for this and is only sold with the IPDM. Cost of the IPDM is $245.00. All of the relays in that box appear to be the same so for now swapping the relay with a less used relay was a better solution.

graphic

Edited by Jim Barlogio on 2/8/2010 at 6:33 PM EST
swaped ecm with fog relay started right up then after 2 m+ i quit

According to the bulletin the whole unit has to be replaced. The test will need to be done. Plus every fix involved replacement of the complete IPDM unit. Switching the relays did not work. Again I can not say that is the problem but run the test. At our shop we would have to perform the test. Then I would scan it to check for codes and read the data stream making sure the security system is not shutting down your vehicle. Without proper testing then I can not nail it for you only give you what it may be. The only other thing is to switch another relay and see if it will start again. OR it could be the security system as I noted ..

Jim

Edited by Jim Barlogio on 2/8/2010 at 8:27 PM EST