AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1987 nissan d21: 4wd..pickup..cap, rotor, plugs , wires, coil

Customer Question

1987 nissan d21 4wd pickup vg30i engine wont start no spark codes 11 13 21 new distributer, cap, rotor, plugs , wires, coil . What are the 4 terminals on distributer plug ? and should I have 0 - 3 volts on two of the terminals ? ( which two?) I probe dist. 4 term. plug while cranking engine get nothing , coil bench tests ok , I get 7-9 v at IM plug trigger to coil while cranking . Rotor spins while cranking time belt ok no Spark ?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Unplug the distributor and turn the key on and verify battery voltage to the distributor on the harness side on the Black/White wire, 5-volt references on the Green/Yellow and the Green/Black wires and ground on the Black wire.

Plug the distributor back in, backprobe and check voltages on all 4 wires one at a time while cranking. The Black/White wire should maintain good cranking voltage (like 10.5 to 11 volts). The Green/Yellow wire should read about 2.4 to 2.7 volts. The Green/Black wire should read about 0.2 to 0.6 volts. The Black ground wire should read 0.05 volts or less.

If the distributor voltages check good, then check voltages at the coil/power transistor assembly with the coil/power transistor connector plugged in and backprobing. The Black/White wire is battery voltage supply to the coil. The Black/Pink wire is the ground for the power transistor - look for 0.05 volts or less. The Blue wire is coil negative - verify battery voltage on the Blue wire key on and use a powered up 12-volt test light and check for a pulse (flashing test light) on coil negative while cranking. The White wire (or possibly solid Black) is the pulsed voltage signal from the computer to the power transistor - look for 0.1 volt or less key on and about 0.4 to 0.6 volts while cranking.

Potential Causes:

Distributor
Ignition Coil
Ignition Power Transistor
Wiring Harness

The distributor inputs 0-5 volt square wave signals into the computer. Using a voltmeter instead of a scope, the voltmeter takes an average of the 0-5 volt square wave signals. When the computer likes the two distributor signals, the computer pulses a voltage signal out to the power transistor that is mounted with the ignition coil. This signal from the computer turns the power transistor on and off and the power transistor turns coil negative on and off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks this answer PERCISLY EXELLENT helps a lot ! Truck was running fine went to start one morning and crank over but no spark . So with your answer I hope I can find problem Thanks again this is a huge help couldn't find this info anywhere on inter net and or friends and parts store counter help useless looked at me like I had three heads .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

THanks for the accept!

Let me know if you have any further questions!