Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2001 Nissan Maxima: All fuses (inside..under hood..fuel pump relay

2001 Nissan Maxima will turn...
2001 Nissan Maxima will turn over but will not start. Running perfectly the day before. All fuses (inside and under hood checked ok) and fuel pump relay replaced. Will start as long as starting fluid is sprayed into air intake but dies when spray stops. Don't smell any gas when pedal is pumped continously. Acts like no gas is getting to injectors. One thing I did notice is that security light on dash blinks as normal when key is off but does stay on continuously when key is in the on position which could indicate a problem in the immobilization system?
12/28/2009
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

If the security light is solid when the key is in the ON position, then that would be a indication that the immobilizer is engaged and the chip in the key is not recognized. So the security system is active and kills injector pulse. I would try the spare key and see if that works. If it doesn't then you will need to call a mobile lock smith to come program the keys to the car for you.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. thanks Jay!
I will not have the other key until tomorrow. I only had the backup key (that has always started the vehicle before) but will try the other on tomorrow and if that doesn't work I will call a locksmith. Will get back to you asa I complete your suggestions and see if they resolve the issue. Thanks
You got it. The last thing you can try with your currently key is to see if you can get it out of lock mode, and start. Here is how you do it.graphic

If this doesn't work, then you will need to have the keys programed. You will need all your keys present when the keys are being programed. So make sure you have them all.

Thanks Jay!
Had already read about this on a Nissan Forum but they indicated to try two cycles with five second delay in the on position and ten second delay in the off position which did not unlock the system so I tried the three cycles with the same key and it still didn't work. Will try it with the other key tomorrow and respond back.
Not a problem, I am off from work tomorrow so I should be on during the day. Thanks Jay!
Is there a way to manually make the injectors pulse just to see if they will??
Not when your in lock mode. When the security light is solid, that means your in lock mode, which kills injector pulse. That is why the car will run on starting fluid.

Once you have the key problem worked out, the car should start.

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
For info,the key I was trying was one of our original keys that is now ineffective since we had other keys reprogramed about 2-3 years ago and I thought it was one of those two. As soon as my son tried his key the car started fine. Thanks for your help. You saved me towing, dealer repair, and new key costs. All I have to do now is find the right spare or have another made and programed which is $130.
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician