Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2003 pathfinder: a squeaking nosie when I crank, as I drive..belts

Help!! I have a 2003...
Help!! I have a 2003 pathfinder it's making a squeaking nosie when I crank, as I drive and as I turn the wheel. I thin it might be the belts...Had them change 4 days ago and the noise is still there. I notice that the noise happens more so when I turn the Heat up high. This sound is annoying.

What should I do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2009
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

When you start the truck and let it idle, does it squeak? Did they squeak right after the belts were changed?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Hi Jay:

Yes sometimes the squeak happens when I start the truck but only for a few seconds while idle. The squeak really begins while I am driving, especially if I have the Heat on high...If I turn the heat down it subsides. I also notice the squeak while I'm driving and turn the steering wheel.

The Squeaking began before I had the belts changed- Once I changed them, I noticed that the sound is back. By the way I only have approximately 35,000 miles on my truck.

The reason I am asking if the noise was gone after the belts were done, is because when you have new belts installed, if not tightened properly, when the belts break in they stretch and could squeak again, which would require a simple adjustment. If you have a can of WD-40, and you can open the hood and start the truck and you hear the squeak. Give the belts a small shot of the WD-40 and see if it stops. If it does, then the belts are most likely not tightened properly and just need to be adjusted. I would then take it back to the person who installed the belts. Most likely it's the AC belt. You most likely have auto air, so when ever you use the heat or air, the compressor kicks on. I think the drive belts may have stretched and may need a simple adjustment.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician