Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2003 nissan pathfinder: LE...fuel guage...Also..the fuel tank and I

Customer Question
I owned a 2003 nissan...
I owned a 2003 nissan pathfinder LE. The fuel guage is reading higher than the fuel present in the tank.Also,in fulling the tank, there is a pressure that is forcing the pump back and at times, the fuel overflows the fuel tank and I know for sure the tank is not full.After a few minutes, it would allow me to add more fuel. It's disgusting. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
12/1/2009
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Sounds like you have 2 things going on. It sounds like you have a fuel level sensor issue, and a problem with the venting for the gas tank. If not vented properly it will kick back gas like you are describing. So you will need to check the fuel tank venting and the Evap system to make sure there is no restrictions, and you will need to check your fuel level sensor.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
The sending unit was changed. How to check the venting and evap. system. I'm not a mechanic but I want to be knowledgable. The mechanic wanted to change the metering unit( fuel guage/speedometer etc.) Do you think this is a good idea.
Well until you get the fuel tank venting properly, it could be throwing off the reading a little. To locate the venting issue you need to pressurize the fuel tank and check hoses for venting. There is also a valve on the tank that could be bad. I would focus on the venting issue first. Once you can install gas properly and you know you have a fuel tank, then you can monitor the guage readings and see if there is a issue.

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician