Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2003 Infiniti I35: tune..if by dropping the pan..trans fluid

Customer Question

Looking to do a tune up on my 2003 Infiniti I35 and want to know if by dropping the pan to change the trans filter and trans fluid, will that drain all of the trans fluid? If not, how much and how can I get all or most of it out?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for usiing JustAsnwer.com

How many miles do you have on the car? Have you ever serviced the trans?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
85,000 and had the trans fluid changed at dealer at ~45,000. They changed the fluid only and did not change the trans filter. That is the only service I've had done to the trans.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
The trans filter is a metal screen and has no recommendation for replacement. To replace the trans filter you would need to drop the valve body! If you are looking to get the most fluid out of the trans to service it properly. You can get what they call a transmission flush. This is a 16 quart flush that uses the trans pump to push out all the old fluid and pull in all the new fluid through the trans cooler lines. That would be the most effective.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!