Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2007 Nissan Sentra: 2007 Nissan Sentra Code P0845 transmission got

Customer Question

2007 Nissan Sentra Code P0845 transmission got really hot and wasn't shifting properly
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

How many miles do you have on your car?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
10700 miles
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Well that is good, cause you should be ok as far as warranty is concerned. That code is a pressure sensor with the transmission. It really would need to be checked. Cause if it's a sensor, it may require the transmission to be replaced or a wiring or computer problem.

I would bring it to the dealer and let them check it for you. It should be covered under warranty.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm sorry it has 107000
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm sorry the car has 107000 miles
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
ouch! That changes everything! Well, since you have a CVT transmission the code you have is for the transmission pressure sensor B. So you will need to have this checked. I would also check the fluid level to make sure that is good. Don't service this trans yet, unless the deterioration has been read from the scan tool and it says it needs to be serviced. The problem you are having right now, requires the use of a scanner to monitor the readings for that sensor to see if that sensor is bad or not. If bad, it may require the transmission to be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a scanner, how would I check to if the sensor is good? also the transmision fluid had not been changed
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
can you tell me what the voltage reading is on the scanner for transmission pressure sensor B. Engine running in park.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it doesn't say it only gives me the code
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Well, as I was saying. A scanner that can monitor sensor readings will need to be used to determine if the sensor is working properly or not.

Here is a idea if you would like to try this. I would start by clearing the code. Then if the code returns I would have it checked. If it doesn't return, it could have just been a glitch. It sounds like you have a code reader. So I would try to clear the code. If you don't have a code reader, just disconnect the battery for 10 mins.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would sensor cause the transmission to run hot (I poured a little water on it an it started sizzling) and it was releasing fluid through a hose
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Actually that sounds like the sensor may be working! Fluid was coming out the vent hose?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, the hose is attached to the tranny and is routed up with a curve downward at the tip
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Then I would check the transmission cooler and make sure that is working properly. It sounds like you got that pressure sensor code cause the trans was over heating!

I would leave the code and have it checked. They can pull up the data recorded when the code was triggered. I think you have either a transmission issue, or a trans cooling problem now with that new information. This is a very expensive transmission, so I would have this checked before you do any damage to it, if you haven't already.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
after the tranny cooled down it ran and shifted fine, how ever it started heating up again so park the car and have not drove it. How could I check the tranny cooler?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the long reply. It was late and I need to get to sleep. I will also be at work today.

The coolant system is what keeps the transmission cool. There are 2 coolant hoses that circulate through a cooler on the trans. If you haven't done a coolant service, now is a good time to flush the system. At a 100k miles it should have been done at least 2 times going on it's 3rd.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should I clear the code before geting it serviced?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
No, I would leave it, so it can be properly checked. With out the code, it maybe possilbe they they will not be able to check it properly.

Thanks Jay!