Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

99 pathfinder: running rough..throttle pushed..ran fine..warmed

Got a 99 pathfinder 3.3l. That started by running rough and would die when throttle pushed. next morning ran fine untill warmed up, then slowly died while driving. drained gas tank and changed filter. same thing except this time it just shut off, no rough running before hand. it now will just crank away with no attempt a light off. good fuel pump, plenty of gas at manifold, but no spark. DTC is P325, knock snsr, a pending P325, and a pending P180, fuel temp. Pulled cap and rotor, they are good, pulled pickup cover and all looks good, no oil leakage.
can a knock sensor keep the engine from starting?
Is there a quick check to verify snsr will fiix it before I tear the top of the engine off?
any other suggestions?

Thanks, Will
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you know if you have spark?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no spark!
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hmm. If you remove the distributor cap and crank the engine, the distributor rotor turns correct?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yep, All looks good.

I have only owned a week, so No history, but the distributer is clean under the cover.

The weired thing is the symptoms changed from hard to start, rough idle and no power, to cranking with no spark. when it originally died on me, it acting like running out of fuel. after filter replacement and draining the tank, it fired right up. drove it around the yard after warm up and it ran good. I drove to gas station and on the way back it just shutoff. it has only cranked since

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Yeah, this is what I thought. Sounds like your cam sensor failed in the distributor. When this sensor fails you will get no spark, and it will act exactly how you are describing it. I would have it inspected to verify.

This will require the Distributor to be replaced.

The Knock sensor code P0325 is most likely a result of it. The P0180 is a code for the fuel temp sensor in the fuel tank.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!