Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

1997 Nissan Pathfinder: SE...The airbag light flashes and the horn

I own a 1997 Nissan...
I own a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE. The airbag light flashes and the horn does not work now. I did the reset that was given on line for the airbag, but the light still flashes on and off. The horn worked for a little bit but now does not again. I replaced the clock spring, the horn worked for a bit, airbag light is still on, now horn does not work. I replaced it with the old clock spring, and the same thing happens, flashing airbag light and horn is out again. I even tried resetting the air bag by running a pushbutton switch to the ground and doing a reset by holding in the button. It did not work. I know the horn will not work if i remove the cruise control mechanism from the wheel. I thought maybe the pins were bent but it appears not to be the case. This has been going on for about 2 months and yesterday I replaced the battery to the car. I was also told that resetting the SRS would not help. Any thoughts? Thanks!
9/14/2009
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Well the first thing you will need to do is have the Air Bag system checked for codes. If the old door switch trick doesn't clear the light then you have a hard code. The code will lead you to what system is having the problem so the proper repairs can be made.

Another thing you will need to check since you mentioned the horn isn't working is to make sure the wiring from the spiral cable to the horn is good. Also check to see if the horn is good.

The thing about installing a spiral cable is to make sure the wheels are not turned at all and after installing remove the lock and make sure it doesn't spin. That is the most common for spiral cable failure, is incorrect installation.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
What do you mean by the lock ?
When you get a spiral cable new, it has a lock tab on it to keep it from spinning. You remove this after you have it installed, and only remove it before installing the steering wheel.

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician