James, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years of total auto repair experience, and last 10 with Infiniti.
17471009

Slips..neutral while Im driving... might that be a transmission issue

Customer Question

my car slips out of gear into neutral while I'm driving... might that be a transmission issue? Possibly jsut fluid related?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  James replied 8 years ago.
Does the shifter move into neutral or does it just slip?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its an automatic... I'll just be driving along and the engine will rev with the accelerator like I'm in neutral.
Expert:  James replied 8 years ago.
You transmission is failing it will have to be replaced or overhauled. Fluid exchange will not help. Thank you for the question. If you need firther assistance dont hesitate to contact me. James!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You're absolutely certain?? I ask because I am supposed to take it in to the mechanic tomorrow, but I'd hate to spend the extra $100 if you can tell me right now that its definitely a dead transmission...
Expert:  James replied 8 years ago.
Ck the fluid level but if it is full it is on its way out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the transmission fluid dipstick the only other one than besides the oil dipstick? I've got one on the right side that is black with a silver pin looking thing on it... just want to make sure that is the right one.

Thank you so much for your help!
Expert:  James replied 8 years ago.
The transmission dipstick is on the driver side right beside the air box you cant miss it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Fluid looks perfect pink and clean... definitely dead tranny?!? Sorry, I'm a poor college student... this sucks!
Expert:  James replied 8 years ago.
If the fluid is full and you are slipping while driving then it is definitly failing.You may have a few months or a few days but it is only a matter of time. Sorry for the bad news. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks James.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again James... I will definitely recommend you to anyone who has car questions in the future!!
Expert:  James replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to help. That is what I am here for. Thanks again James.