Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

installing a water pump on al 2004 nissan murano, I read on

Customer Question
the romoval and instalation. I...
installing a water pump on al 2004 nissan murano, I read on the romoval and instalation. I understand that you do not have to remove the timeing case cover?. Correct me if a ma wrong please. I removed the water pump cover that is infront of the caseing i see whare the change turns the water pump i need a diagram to show me the removal of the change tensioner assembly. I dont undesratnd whare it says "pull the lever down and relaease the stop tab" insert the plunger into the tensioner body by pressing the timing chain slack guide. And then it terlls me to: XXXXX XXXXX slack guiede pressed and hold the plunger in by pushing the stopper pin deeper through the lever and into the tensioner body hole. If I san see a picture diafragm that will take me set by step i will shure appreciate it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/23/2009
Nissan Mechanic: JamesH, Auto Service Tech replied 8 years ago
JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech
Its a pretty complex pump. I have attached the steps to complete the job. Let me know if this answers your questions. Thanks

1. Remove drive belts.
  2. Remove undercover.
  3. Drain engine coolant from radiator.
  4. Remove water drain plug on water pump side of cylinder block.
  5. Support lower oil pan bottom with a transmission jack.
  6. Remove right engine mounting insulator and mounting bracket.
  7. Remove idler pulley bracket.
  8. Remove chain tensioner cover and water pump cover.
  9. Remove the chain tensioner assembly in the following procedure.
    1. Pull the lever down and release the plunger stopper tab.
    2. Insert the stopper pin into the tensioner body hole to hold the lever and keep the stopper tab released.
    3. Insert the plunger into the tensioner body by pressing the timing chain slack guide.
    4. Keep the slack guide pressed and hold the plunger in by pushing the stopper pin deeper through the lever and into the tensioner body hole.
    5. Turn crankshaft pulley approximately 20 degrees -clockwise so that the timing chain on the chain tensioner side is loose.

10. Remove chain tensioner.
  11. Remove the 3 water pump bolts. Secure a gap between water pump gear and timing chain, by turning crankshaft pulley approximately 20 degrees -counterclockwise.
  12. Screw M8 bolts, pitch: 1.25mm (0.049in) length: Approx. 50 mm (1.97in) into water pump-s upper and lower mounting-bolt holes until they reach timing chain case. Then, alternately tighten each bolt for a half turn, and pull out water pump.
  13. Pull straight out while preventing vane from contacting socket in installation area. Remove water pump without causing sprocket to contact timing chain.
  14. Remove M8 bolts and O-rings from water pump.

15. Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Water pump mounting

To install:

1. Install new O-rings to water pump.
  2. Apply engine oil and engine coolant to the O-rings as shown. Locate the O-ring with white paint mark to engine front side.
  3. Install the water pump.

NOTE
Do not allow cylinder block to nip the O-rings when installing the water pump.

1. Check that timing chain and water pump sprocket are engaged.
  2. Insert water pump by tightening mounting bolts alternately and evenly.
  3. Remove dust and foreign material completely from backside of chain tensioner and from installation area of rear timing chain case.
  4. Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise so that the timing chain on the timing chain tensioner side is loose.

NOTE
When installing the timing chain tensioner, engine oil should be applied to the oil hole and tensioner.

1. Install the timing chain tensioner.
  2. Remove the stopper pin.
  3. Install chain tensioner cover and water pump cover.
    1. Before installing, remove all traces of liquid gasket from mating surface of water pump cover and chain tensioner cover using a scraper. Also remove traces of liquid gasket from the mating surface of the front cover.
    2. Apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket, to mating surface of chain tensioner cover and water pump cover. Use RTV silicon sealant or equivalent

4. Install water drain plug on water pump side of cylinder block.
  5. Installation is in the reverse order of removal for remaining parts.
  6. After starting engine, let idle for three minutes, then rev engine up to 3,000 rpm under no load to purge air from the high-pressure chamber of the chain tensioner. The engine may produce a rattling noise. This indicates that air still remains in the chamber and is not a matter of concern.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove drive belts.
  4. Remove undercover.
  5. Drain engine coolant from radiator.
  6. Remove water drain plug on water pump side of cylinder block.
  7. Support lower oil pan bottom with a transmission jack.
  8. Remove right engine mounting insulator and mounting bracket.
  9. Remove idler pulley bracket.
  10. Remove chain tensioner cover and water pump cover.
  11. Remove the chain tensioner assembly in the following procedure.

12. Remove chain tensioner.
  13. Remove the 3 water pump bolts. Secure a gap between water pump gear and timing chain, by turning crankshaft pulley approximately 20 degrees -counterclockwise.
  14. Screw M8 bolts, pitch: 1.25mm (0.049in) length: Approx. 50 mm (1.97in) into water pump-s upper and lower mounting-bolt holes until they reach timing chain case. Then, alternately tighten each bolt for a half turn, and pull out water pump.
  15. Pull straight out while preventing vane from contacting socket in installation area. Remove water pump without causing sprocket to contact timing chain.
  16. Remove M8 bolts and O-rings from water pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Water pump and related components

To install:

1. Install new O-rings to water pump.
  3. Install the water pump.
    NOTE

4. Check that timing chain and water pump sprocket are engaged.
  5. Insert water pump by tightening mounting bolts alternately and evenly.
  6. Remove dust and foreign material completely from backside of chain tensioner and from installation area of rear timing chain case.
  7. Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise so that the timing chain on the timing chain tensioner side is loose.
    NOTE

8. Install the timing chain tensioner.
  9. Remove the stopper pin.
  10. Install chain tensioner cover and water pump cover.

11. Install water drain plug on water pump side of cylinder block.
  12. Installation is in the reverse order of removal for remaining parts.
  13. After starting engine, let idle for three minutes, then rev engine up to 3,000 rpm under no load to purge air from the high-pressure chamber of the chain tensioner. The engine may produce a rattling noise. This indicates that air still remains in the chamber and is not a matter of concern.
I HAVE THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS THAT YOU GAVE ME FROM AOUTO ZONE AND "FREE", I AM STUCK WITH THIS AND I AM ASKING YOU TO HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT A DID WRONG, PLEASE DO REPLY A.S.A.P., AND i CANT EVEN INLARGE THE PICTURE THAT YOU SENT ME BUT I HAVE THAT ALREADY AND "FREE",...PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS NOT WHAT YOU SNET ME LIKE I SAY I HALF IT AND I AM TRYING FOR YOU TO HELP ME GO ON WITH IT.
graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic
JamesH
JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Tech