Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

94 altima: the spark plugs distrubuter and wiring and fuel filter

Customer Question
My 94 altima keeps stalling...
My 94 altima keeps stalling. I took it to the dealer twice. They have changed the spark plugs distrubuter and wiring and fuel filter. Then they sped up the timing (idle) my car exhaust smells very gas like and it is stalling still. I do notice also that the car hesitates and then will shoot off. When it does stall it will start back up right away. Help please
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/4/2009
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
HI there! Is the check engine light on? Also, does this happen when you are running down the road, or is it more like when you are sitting at a stop sign or light?
No check engine and one has never come on. It maily happens when you slow down and stop. Although lately as you drive down the road it feels as if the car is shuttering or the engine is lacking power. Then it goes away for a little bit.
OK. I leu of the fact there is no light, I would start by checking the fuel prressure. It is possible the fuel pump is on it's way out. I would also suspect a vaccum leak as a possible cause. You can take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake manifold and some of the vaccum lines to make sure none are leaking. The rpms will increase if the carb cleaner gets sucked in. Other possibilities, that should be looked at would be the egr valve, the coolant temp sensor and the mass air flow sensor. A scan tool is really going to be the most accuarate tool for diagnosing the sensors. If the egr valve is stickking open, the car would want to stall when warm and at low rpms. Hope this helps!Thanks
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician