Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2003 nissan sentra: accelerate...It bogs down and is..pedal..loses

My 2003 nissan sentra is...
My 2003 nissan sentra is very slow to accelerate.It bogs down and is reluctant to come out of passing gear when I step down full pedal and it loses power.Doesn't seem be as bad at half pedal,but still very slow to accelerate.In normal driving the transmission shifts properly.The are no engine codes being displayed.The engine is 1.8 litres.
12/22/2008
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician
HelloCustomer how many miles are on the vehicle?
105,000
Okay. There can be a lot of different causes for this. There is a recall on the crank and cam sensors on this vehicle. They can cause a poor acceleration problem without causing the check engine light to come on. You would be able to have this covered by the dealer for free. If these sensors are not the issue then you may have a fuel system issue or a dirty air flow meter. Start by making sure that your air filter is clean and then remove the air floe sensor and clean it out with throttle body cleaner. If the problem still persists then you may need to check the fuel system pressure.

graphic
just called nissan.no recall on these sensors.cleaned airflow sensor with carb cleaner.All four injectors are new.Air filter is new.
Do you have the last 6 digits of your VIN number?
no,had to drive other vehicle to work.why?
Because then I can tell you if it is involved in the recall. Most Sentra's this year are. The recall is shown below.
Reference:
NTB03-124 Date:
December 19, 2003

VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN ENGINE SENSORS

CAMPAIGN I.D.#/NHTSA #:
R3022/03V-345 APPLIED VEHICLES:
2000-03 Sentra (B15)
2002 Altima (L31)
2002-03 Maxima (A33)
2003 Murano (Z50)
2003 350Z (Z33)

APPLIED VINs

APPLIED ENGINES:
QG18DE, QR25DE, VQ35DE NOTE: Use Service Comm. to confirm campaign eligibility.

INTRODUCTION

Nissan has determined that some 2000-2003 model year Nissan vehicles may have a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety. The engine might stop running while being driven if the crank position sensor or cam position sensor fails. This may also result in the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on or reduced engine power. If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning.

IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

Nissan has assigned identification number R3022 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.

NUMBER OF VEHICLES POTENTIALLY AFFECTED

The number of vehicles potentially affected is approximately 572,000.

DEALER RESPONSIBILITY

It is the retailer's responsibility to check Service Comm for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall which for any reason enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in a dealer's inventory. Federal law requires that new vehicles in dealer inventory which are the subject of a safety recall must be corrected prior to sale. Failure to do so can result in civil penalties by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. While federal law applies only to new vehicles, Nissan strongly encourages dealers to correct any used vehicles in their inventory before they are retailed.

I live ten minutes from here.going home to get vin #
Bring it back and we can go from there.
3N1CB51D33L817561
Also,I gave that # XXXXX dealer just now no recall.
Yes. Your vehicle came after the recall. You either are going to have a fuel problem or a problem with the catalytic converter. I would start by checking the fuel system pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge?
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician

After much thinking,I think you have the answer.I suspect it must be the catalytic converter.I thank you for your efforts.I hope you have a great Christmas!

No problem. I hope this helps you. If you need anyhting else let me know. Have a Merry Christmas also.
Just wanted to tell you that I just replaced the converter and it fixed the problem!Good job!
Awesome. If you ever need any other help let me know. Have a great Christmas.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician