Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2000 nissan maxima: coils..6 cyl., v6 3000 series eng

Customer Question

how do i replace the coils on my 2000 nissan maxima,6 cyl., v6 3000 series eng. 24 cams? which is the right bank and which is the left bank? are the rear coils difficult than the front to replace?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there! Actually,if you remove the cover on the front valve cover,you will see the coils.Remove the 10 mm bolts and they will come up and out.That is bank #2
One bank #1,you can see the coils and the wiring harness.You will need an extension to get to the 10 mm bolts through the plentum,but the coils are long enough once you remove the bolt's you can pull them up and out.Hope this helps!Thanks
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: The VQ30DE engines have a decorative facia that must be removed to access the coils and spark plugs
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Pinch the tab on the coil connector, then pull the head off it
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: VQ30DE and VE30DE engines have individual coils for the spark plugs; you have to remove them to get to the spark plugs
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: After the retainer screw is removed, carefully pull the coil out of the cylinder head
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Use a long extension with a locking end to remove the spark plugs
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: When installing a spark plug, be careful not to bump the electrode out of adjustment
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Always use anti-seize compound on the spark plugs to prevent stripping out the aluminum threads

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
your picture shows the 3 coils in the front but i can't see the coils in the rear. what's the plentum?do you have a picture of the plentum and the rear coils.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Let me see if I can come up with one for you! I will be back!!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
If you are not able to blow this up,let me know and I will have JA email it to you
graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i would appreciate e-mailing the ja file. thank you.you guys are the greatest.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
OK,I will see what I can do.Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i'm very, very thankfull that i found your web site. i will inform all my friends about you .you've answered all my questions so fast it made my head spin. again thank yoi very much.

regards,

Customer/p>

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
It was my pleasure to help you out!Thank you for the accept and let me know if you need further assistance!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

please send e-mail JA to my e-mail address.

thank you ,

Customer/p>

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
JA did not mail you the diagram yet?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i never got the diagram JA file. tried what you said but the connectors won't come apart.i got the old coil out of the hole and now i'm stuck. i can't get them apart without breaking something.spray them with w-d 40 or what? you guys are not on line today because of turkey day. if you are i sure can use an answer if not have a happy thanksgiving.

Customer/p>

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
HI,Are you having the problem with the rear coil connectors?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes. i didn't get your responce or the JA file.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
OK.I will try again to get them to send the file.As for the coil connectors.In the very center,sort of top position of the connector,there is a spot to push in,when you push it in,it releases the connector.I hope this helps!