Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

98 Nissan Pathfinder: timing marks..the timing belt..cylinder..2WD

Where are the timing marks...
Where are the timing marks to be set to replace the timing belt on a '98 Nissan Pathfinder, 6-cylinder, 2WD?
11/22/2008
Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician

HI!

Do you have it apart? if you are replacing the timing belt, I would replace the water pump, cam seals , crank seal, tensioner, thermostat and bypass hose behind the front cover. you do not want to do this twice, do it all at once, Thanks ROY!

Everything is apart, replacing water pump, thermostat, all belts, etc. Just need to know how to set the marks to replace the timing belt because I don't think he set the engine to top before he removed it. Be happy to call you (I have unlimited long distance) or you can call him at XXX-XXX-XXXX if it would be easier to tell than to write answer. Thank you tremendously! I've been without vehicle two weeks now.

Ok!

here are the alignment marks.graphicgraphic let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Let me see if he can make out the pics. The first one is very small
graphicgraphic
Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
I was able to blow it up with Photoshop. Thanks a bunch, I think that's all I need now. Glad to know someone's there for the home handyman/mechanic!

OK!

I hope this helps you and good luck! Thanks, ROY

Still there? Cannot find the mark where the crank gear XXXXX XXXXXnes up with the casing. Cannot find the mark anywhere

OK!

The marks on the belt are the most important marks and the pulleys , the case and rear marks are just your reference points.

just put it like the pick shows ,I mark the out side of the belt with paint and the pulley marks with a dot of paint, to make sure they are lined up correctly if you have a factory timing belt the dotted mark on the belt goes to the passengers side cam shaft pulley , then line up the other marks on the pulleys. and the belt marks , Thanks ROY!
He pulled the belt off before he marked anything and he needs to get the belt back on Don't know if it's a factory belt. It is the alignment mark on the bottom pic of the diagram that has two images on it. The alignment mark that is missing is the one on the bottom right of the picture. Looks like it's in the 5 o'clock position, but it is not marked on the casing

HI!

I would get a new factory belt, so you have the correct marks to install it correctly if not you could damage the engine . the bottom pulley dot should be around 5, 0 clock posistion, the belt mark is all you need to align dont worry about the case marks , the belt and pulley mark are the most important spot to align , Thanks ROY!

The belt has one spot where there are three arrows with the letters FR near the arrows. Other than that, there is a spot with three lines, but no other marks

OK!

I would not use that belt , get a Nissan factory belt the factory belt has an arrow for the font of the belt ,and a dotted line for the right cam shaft, then two more lines for the left cam and crank sprocket ,this is what I would use to make sure you install it correctly, or you can bend the valves in the engine . Thanks ROY!

Thanks. Looks like we may have to do that, but it's 50 miles round trip for us and hated to make the drive. Calling the parts store now to make sure they have one. Thanks for the help.

OK!

It will be worth the drive to not damage the engine , Thanks ROY!

Roy
Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician