Joe
Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  23 years auto repair experiance.
9843993

93 Nissan maxima: wont start just clicks..ran fine..battery terminal

Customer Question

93 Nissan Maxima won''t start just clicks. It ran fine yesterday and today just a click. Also there is a small spark at the positive battery terminal.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joe replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer If you are seeing a spark at the battery terminal, there is defiantly a connection problem. The battery connections must be very tight and free of any corrosion. Try replacing the battery ends if they look questionable, make sure everything is clean and tight. If this doesnt work, let me know and I will help you with tracing battery voltage and ground to the starter.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I tighten the battery cables this morning. the headlights are bright, the a/c comes on, the radio, just a click when you turn the key. Also I tried to jump it with battery cables and still just a click. well and a spark, puff of smoke.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are u still there?
Expert:  Joe replied 9 years ago.

The starter is the largest electrical draw in the vehicle. Even if all the lights are bright, and everything else works, if there is a marginal connection at the battery, there will not be enough voltage for the starter to come in. If you have a volt meter, you could perform a voltage drop test by connecting the meters ground to the vehicle ground, and probe the starters heavy gage wire with the meters positive wire while you crank the vehicle. If the voltage drops much below 12V, you have a connection problem.If you have positively eliminated the possibility of a bad connection, the starter could be bad/shorted, which would have to be removed and bench tested.